Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Newby

Hey all

I've just bought a IS200 Sport - a perfect example on a 99 V. I have worked in the fleet industry for the last nine years and always had a Saab (worked for part of GM so they were company cars). I have just left to set up my own business and have had to buy a car for the first time! So without doubt I chose an IS. I bought is from Lexus Coventry because I wanted all the warranty gubbins and I cant recommend them highly enough, what a great bunch of people. Anyway enough about me and lets talk about the car.

I've also got a bike that I am used to customising that up so I want to make the car a little special but I am not a bad boy customiser. What are the subtle must haves I should start off with? I have seen the blue dash board back light kits on eBay – are they any good. Your expert advice is appreciated.

G.

welcome to the club!

our resident dashboard light modder mr fargo will no doubt tell you all about those eBay lights in good time.

are you after performance gains or do you just want to make the car look even better than it already does? for performance most peeps start with a new exhaust and induction kit. if you have serious cash you could go for a supercharger. there are many fine examples of body kits and styling in the club gallery if you want to have a look and most people have got their mods listed in the club garage, link at top of page.

if ya new business needs any graphic design work doing just drop me a pm mate, had to get that bit in!

I think I started the ball rolling with the Sports Grille like a lot of other people did - if you've got a 99 you could even look at replacing the rear light clusters with the dark chrome units that were fitted to newer cars - take a look at the garage to see some examples of these - I've got both fitted on mine too :)

Like John says above its all about go or show - I've tended to go down the 'go' route and my car looks standard apart from the big exhaust and silly noises it makes :winky:

Dave Ellen's car is one of the perfect examples of this - from the outside it looks pretty much like a normal IS but it's one of the quickest cars in the club - proper wolf in sheep's clothing :)

Other things you could replace are the chrome exhaust finisher if it's looking dodgy or the gear knob if its had a hard time (but I guess that will have been replaced anyway?)

Saying that it's probably worth replacing the exhaust with an aftermarket unit, ProLex are offering an exhaust that's kind of like the HKS exhausts which are nice, do you want quiet or loud? If you want quiet I'd guess the HKS Silent Hiper might be a route to go down as it's the same noise level as stock but offers the most performance gains, alternateively something like the ProLex or Apexi exhausts would be loud and offer the same sort of gains.

Do a search in the gallery (or google) for aby.mpg as that gives you an idea of what an IS sounds like with a better exhaust - she'll drive better too ;)

Edit: Here's the link http://www.lexusownersclub.com/gallery/alb...album01/aby.mpg

lowered springs, there is always lots on eBay for is200 but they go very quickly. speaking of eBay as long as u dont buy those so called 'performance mod' for few pounds that claim to give u extra 20bhp, yea right! i think i saw one on eBay listed for lexus. clear rear fog lights come up time to time also. there was new set today starting bid £0.01,no reserve! may gone up by now!

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll start with the grille and the rear dark chrome lights, are these aftermarket or do I get them from my lexus dealer? I think the exhaust will be next after that lot.

Aido, I had a look at your car in the garage - very nice, remind mind me not to try and race you off the lights!

Wosket - I might have some work for you - I have a graphic designer at the moment, he started off good but has let me down recently, I'll stay in touch with you.

Thanks again

G.

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll start with the grille and the rear dark chrome lights, are these aftermarket or do I get them from my lexus dealer?  I think the exhaust will be next after that lot.

G.

Welcome to LOC mate :) I think Fargo has a sports grill for sale at the moment...i think its red so you will have to have it painted drop him a PM. Chris Shipley supplys parts from a main dealer to club members with free postage....go GOLD and you will get more discount and get the rear lights for £120 ;)

Erm..

They're blue bulbs that replace the reverse lights :o

Basically mate they have a deep blue effect when off, but when lit they emit a very intense light which slightly borders onto blue - looks great :)

Zee was selling them but don't know if he can get hold of them any more?

They're on my car in the garage

I have seen the blue dash board back light kits on ebay

Keep away from these .. EVIL!!!. Fargo will do you a better job if you want to change the lights

I think I started the ball rolling with the Sports Grille like a lot of other people did

Good choice to start off with, marks the car look much better, Also a set of eyelids for the headlights. You can get these painted to match your car or in Carbon-fibre.

Then depending on the ££ you have one of the members (Prolex-uk) is doing some nice zausts at the mo. and some nice 18" wheels.

cheap styling options: jdm antenna, toms style eyebrows.

recommended options see my signiture or garage link plus many more to come. Next I'm after: B&M quickshift, induction kit, dark smoked rear & front clusters and loads of other stuff. So many mods to do, so little money in my bank :crybaby::crybaby:

A sports grill is a must, suttle but makes the differnce :winky:

Sorry to high jack here, but after looking around this site and seeing peoples cars I now have the bug to start doing things to my car. I want to start with an induction kit but I don't want one that makes loads of noise all the time.

Ideally I want one so that when crusing they isn't much differnce but when you lag it the car sings to you!! B)

Anyone know what one I should be looking at??

Thanks

Ray