Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mk2 Ls400 - Tow Bar And Rear Parking Sensor

I went to see an LS400 MK2 with 174k mileage; it has a full service history.

I noticed a bar just behind the rear bumper and the sales guy said that was down to a tow bar that was fitted to the car.

Does the LS400 come with a tow bar or is this likely to have been added ?

I also noted a rear parking sensor control panel that seem to have been added afterwards as it doesn't sit neatly along with the other instruments is this a problem ? Did they have to drill holes in the bumper to fit etc ?

The exhausts looked badly corroded and they were not stainless steel is that normal ? I thought they were stainless steel on the LS400 ? how much do I have to pay for a new set (ball park) ?

Also how much will a new timing belt cost ?

Any advice appreciated before I started spending a fortune !

Thanks.

Tow bar is not standard and nor are parking sensors. Holes should only have been drilled into the plastic bumper cover for the sensors, not the crash bar, so shouldn't be a problem.

The exhaust is SS. They don't look it and it will have surface corrosion but should be ok. They always look worse than there are however a new exhaust is expensive.

Timing belt isn't expensive however the labour to fit one is. If done by Lexus along with a major service it could cost up to £1000 however an indepenant should be able to just fit the belt for about £200. Worth fitting a new belt if you don't know when it was last changed as if it snaps you will need to be recovered however it won't do damage to the engine.

Worth fitting a new belt if you don't know when it was last changed as if it snaps you will need to be recovered however it won't do damage to the engine.

That's interesting to know. I assume you mean that it's impossible for the valves to interfere with the pistons. Do you know if it's also true for the engine in the mk4 LS400?

Cheers,

Jon

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links