Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Transmission Problem

Hi

I own 1999 rx300,When I shift the gear from neutral to drive or reverse,It does not shift smoothly. The RPM seem to be within the normal range. The problem gone away if I drive the car for a while.( half a day). Can anyone help me?

You don't say what the mileage is but it sounds to me like a transmission oil change might be needed. Got to be worth a try. Also I'm not sure if that model has an adaptive transmission but it might be worth investigating and if so get your dealer to reset the perameters. Could be that after a good distance drive the shift pattern is changing to suit that kind of useage. I had a similar problem on a Volvo S60.

Hi

This vehicle has 70,000 miles and It does not come with adaptive transmission. I checked the transmission fluid. It looks OK. (red color, No burned smell). What control the trasmission shifting system Computer or Vacuum?

I has noticed that when I shift the gear from park to reverse or drive, the tranfer case move up and down about an inch also the chock absorber at front of the vehicle that support the transmission case also move up and down about an inch. Is it normal or engine/transmission are worn out?

I remove the transmission mount shock absorber, How can you tell when or if it needs new shock absorber? ... I pushed down on it and pull back seem to have a good resistance. When I push down on it,it stay at that position and never move back.

If it's just a shock without a spring then it won't move back. I guess the mountings of the transmission pull it back to the correct position.

The shock should have a smooth action and give a constant resistance. Sounds like that is ok. You could check the rubber mounts for cracks or splits but I think the RX has active engine mounts - maybe that is the problem.

Have you also posted on the US forums, maybe some of the members there can help?

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/