Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Car Wanted... Decisions, Decisions

Hi all,

This is my first post here and I wondered what your opinions would be on getting my next car.

I like the RX300SEL, obviously, and the 3.0d X5. Now there is no way I am paying for a new X5 with options at BMW's prices, but I could get a second hand one for about 35K. Equally I could get a second hand SEL for about £33K - but would it be better to pay more and get a new one (hopefully at a discount)?

Also the better half doesn't like parking big cars - I currently have a RR and she has a Corsa (the Corsa is the more reliable!) so she wants to get a RAV4 and to pocket 10K (she's the sensible one).

So my two issues are... which is the better of my choices: new RX, used RX or used X5... and how can I convince swmbo that this is a better choice than a R4?

Giles

PS: Before everyone flames the X5, I do think that it makes a sound 2nd hand buy.

You may be able to get £1500 off the price of a new SE-L but second hand sounds a better deal - if you can find one in your choice of colour.

As for parking I would get one on a 24 test drive and practise, the reversing camera is excellent.

I've been where you are now and its a tough but nice choice to have to make. The X5 3.0d sport has top residuals but try finding a used face lift model!! Not much around and the wait for new is an etenity. Go for an ex demo RX or a discounted new one, you will not regret your decision. If you want stunning build quality, reliability, high specification, attractive styling and great value the Lexus wins, if you want to conform then go for the X5 - I nearly did!!

For the record - current discount on drive the deal for UK RX300SEL is £2,576. Price £35,598 with metallic

So go for new - you wont save enough on a nearly new from a dealer to make it worth the difference.

Speejo

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links