Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

98 R plate last of the series 3 LS400s, 11 grand

98 S plate first of the series 4 LS400s, 13 grand.

Both are full LSH, from Lexus dealers, etc. Both with approx 85 k on the clock.

Is thia a "go for the series 4" no brainer, or is the extra two grand not really worth it?

Opinions welcomed. Likely to plunge in the next week...eek!

Dipstick,

At 85k, the suspension bushes will probably be worse for wear, depending upon whether it's been driven on motorways or around town. Drive the car at lowish speeds and check for clunking noises, particulary when moving from P thru R to D.

The ignition wiring will probably need sorting at 100k as well as distributor caps and rotors. Budget for that when haggling. Make sure there is evidence of regular changing of all fluids etc. Again, make sure there are no lips on the brake discs. Check for vibration at any speed, any revs - there shouldn't be ANY!

My advice would be to go for the Mk4, (all other things being equal), unless you love the shape of the Mk3.

Lexus are relentless in their pursuit of perfection, so generally the newer the model, the closer to perfection it is :lol:

Why don't you drive both cars if you can and that might help make up your mind?

Remember, a book full of stamps DOES NOT EQUAL good maintenance. A wad of invoices detailing all the work recommended and carried out will be the proof of the pudding, in conjuction with the way it drives.

Again, my own advice would be to get the car inspected by an expert, regardless of how well the car drives on that day or how great the warranty might be. I don't trust dealers full stop. :lol::lol:

Good Luck! Make sure all the gizmos work!

Hope this helps, and send us piccies once you get it.

P.S Mk4 is more aerodynamic than Mk3 (I think) and more powerful, and more economical!!!

Got to be the MKIV. Engine is more powerful, quiter, 5 speed gearbox, better economy, sat nav

The ignition wiring will probably need sorting at 100k as well as distributor caps and rotors.

don't have any of that old school on the MKIV either.

I would see which you prefer, if they are identical in condition and you don't prefer the colour of one over the other, I would go for the cheaper one, as a few months difference in age will be minimal to the overal length of service you will get from the car.

a few months difference in age will be minimal to the overal length of service you will get from the car.

But that few months results in a 3 year technology difference. The MKIII is a 1995 design and the MKIV a 1998 one. VVT-i, electronic throttle, distributor less ignition, 5 speed auto, Sat Nav, improved NVH, performance and economy, better saftey features (side airbags, better traction control/VSC, HID headlights), better audio and if the car in question is the one with the Dynamic Handling Pack then better handling as well.

Thanks guys - always helpful as ever. Taking Maneesh's points into consideration, and Colin's counter arguments, plus the geographical arrangements, I think it might be the mark 4. James talks sense of course, and I love Raz' idea - very tempting, but Mrs D would never understand that.

Although as she stands quite happily next to silver Mondeos in the car park ("it's silver, isn't it, it must be ours") she'd never notice I expect.

Only prob with this LS is is that it's gold! Can't quite decide whether it looks AWFUL or I really like it. Certainly won't miss the bugger in the car park!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, all.

Newbie here. Feel like a bit of an imposter seeing as I'm not actually driving a Lexus YET but hope to soon....

Anyway I'm in a similar quandry to Dipstick - i.e. MkIII vs MkIV - and I'm just questioning the general opinion of this thread that because the MkIV has the VVT-i, 5-speed box, better aerodynamics etc. that it returns better mpg. This seems to be in contradiction to the Lexus.co.uk website which gives some details on previous models - it indicates that on most (or all, can't remember) cycles the MkIII is more fuel efficient. Anyone care to comment? This may be a deciding point for me. I guess I'm wondering what MkIII/MkIV owners are actually getting out there in the real world.....

Apologoies for dragging this thread back up but it seemed the most appropriate place to ask this.

Edna'...

The government changed the way fuel figures are carried out to make them more 'real-life'. This happened at the end of 1997 and therefore the MKIII figures are on the old system and the MKIV on the new one so you cannot compare the two

I've spoken to two or three people who have owned both a MKIII and MKIV and they confirm the MKIV is better on fuel