Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Nitrous Advise

yemgi

I would like to know if a standard 1GFE engine can handle 100bhp nozzle jets :unsure:

I know it is said to stay with 50bhp jets not to break the engine internals.

What makes me ask is Dave E's car that handles 260bhp with oem internals when Nos is on so standard engine with 100bhp jet (255bhp total) should not break :unsure:

Am I mistaking ?

Thanks Colin, of course, I would get a progressive controller if I go that way :)

whitie, in France, the kit is between £650 and £1500 depending of the brand / model, installation is at least £250 (all prices incl tax), you may add to this some goodies are progressice controller, nitrous purge, bigger / chrome bottle ...

I hang out with a lot of guys who use NOS -

Skyline GTS ran well with NOS computer but warped exhaust manifold with the excess heat, engine intact.

Punto had 50bhp jets, sheered it's pistons within a few weeks.

MX-5 Supercharged with 50bhp jets, so far the engine hasn't gone bang but it's mis-firing badly, again all that additional stress.

I think the rule here is a strong engine, but also strong connecting parts also such as exhaust. The NOS Computer is the safest way to run the stuff and minimal useage (1/4 mile only etc.) will ensure your engine doesn't go pop. The NOS computers are pretty ugly, or so I thought the one fitted to the Skyline.

Having done a few track days and hanging with proper street-racers, you find that engines blow without NOS quite frequently. Even my friend with a Skyline GTR running 12.7 on the 1/4 (no NOS) cracked his engine block just last month after a high-speed motorway run. I know an RX-7 guy (standard bhp) who has blown his engine twice in the last 2 years.

Personally, I would not run the stuff unless I reinforced a few things on my car.

Yoshi,

there are a lot of misconceptions that go with nitrous use.. themain one being that it will blow your engine.. can i ask what kits are used with the cars you have seen.. have a read here and in particular this,, you will see that a a proper installed kit will not kill you engine..

i think in most cases its when you get a guy sticking in 100 bhp jets without a controller, thats when the engine goes bye bye..

what the guys at highpower do is start you off with 25bhp jets,, then ask you to do the static tests, and only then after reporting back the results will they allow you to purchase higher rated jets.. they even offer to replace your engine if there kit is to be blamed....

anyway have a read and i think a lot of doubts will be answered..

You can go bigger then 10o BHP using progressive controller.

You will find yourself going through lots of NO2 though with large jet size.

Most of the problems caused by Nitrous oxide system are related to poor choice of equipment or inadequate setting up/testing/activation devices (miroswitches wrongly placed)...

Bet no one has mentioned anything about bottle pressures or WINTER/SUMMER Jet ratio's ?????? .... :unsure: Imagine that, a straight shot of Nitrous at 100 bhp with incorrect jetting ....

I think that the thing to keep in mind is this: Whatever you do to any engine to increase it's power beyond that of the original design will reduce the life of the engine.

The extent of the reduction in life will depend on how much more power is introduced, how stong the engine components are and how well developed the conversion is.

If you are going to be the 1st to do a conversion, make sure sure you have the correct test equipment hooked to evaluate the important parameters, otherwise it could all end in tears. That's the way we do it and that's why we don't see many problems on our conversions.