Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Pop Ups.....help Meeeeeeeeeeeeee

DaveEllen

OK,

Had to install sql server 2000 on my laptop................so changed to xp professional.

re installed aol 9

bombarded with pop ups..................any free sites or ways to stop them ?

have done the aol stuff to stop em but seems to be not working :blink:

hi dave,

ok u could have 2 causes here -adware so u get normal internet pop ups or u are getting windows messenger pop ups - this i think is what u mean.

to stop these go to

control panel > admin tools > services> scroll down to MESSENGER, double click it > select stop then select start up type > disabled

that should solve ur prob.

Alternatively, you could REMOVE windows messenger all together, as I don't use it I have it removed.

This is a direct LIFT from a web site, and it's the same thing I have done to remove my Windows Messenger, here goes :

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you prefer to remove Windows Messenger manually, click Start, Run and enter the following command:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Note: This will prevent a long delay when opening Outlook Express if you have the Contacts pane enabled. To prevent this, click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT Go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Right click in the right pane and select New, Dword value. Give it the name Hide Messenger Double click this new entry and set the value to 2.

In addition to all of that, I also have SP2, ADAware 6.0, and Spybot. Removes lots of crap, and keeps the PC nice and clean of pop ups !

Ta ! :mat:

ive been hearing probs with SP2,,, anyone had any

There's quite a few apps that stop working, most of the problems are caused by the personal firewall being turned on by default with SP2. Turn it off again and some apps will work again.

Here is a list from MS of known issues with apps:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=842242

There is also a problem with L2TP VPNs but no real security issues as yet, although it's still very new and people hadn't had a chance to fully test everything.

For personal use I would take a full backup before installing. In a corporate environment you should be waiting a month or two before deploying.