Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Knacked Suspension?

Rob

hi all,

Past few days when i have been going over a manhole cover, rough roads etc i have been hearing a "clunk" that appears to be coming from the rear LH suspension unit, i had a quick look this eves, checked the top mounting in the boot and the lower mounting on the arm - all the bolts/nuts are tight.

ill have a look at the wishbone bushes etc soon also - anyone got other ideas or know of weak points?

the car has been lowered for about a year btw.

cheers rob

Mine has the same fault - been lowered on TTE's but it had the noise before so ruling out a link there ...

Lexus changed the rear shocks 3 times since I've had it (2.5 yrs) to varying degrees of success - last time (few months back) they changed the top mounts but noise still there.

It's going in for it's 74k service on Wed and I am asking them to take another look - suspect ball joints but they checked it all out last time so unsure where they will look this time ...

Choice seems to be - ball joints / roll bar bushes / drive shafts knocking (some play can be felt at half-shaft to diff junction but I don't know if that's just normal / calipers rattling / loose hose knocking on underbody (I've looked everywhere for that one but can't find anything).

Will keep you posted.

Do either of you have a HKS exhaust cause ive noticed mine taps the suspenion on rough and uneven roads.

No Chris - I've got you old one on mine :lol:

Hi peeps ....

When I had my previous car, Toyota Celica ..... I had that same problem, every man hole .. and bumps ... there would be a knocking noise from the back suspension.

I took it to Toyota, who didn't know what it was ... so I reaserched it my self.

On the top of the suspension it's self was a small metal type plate, that holds the suspension to the chasis of the car, this was old and rusted, and was there for "rattling" causing that clonking noise .... I can only imagine that you are having the same problem ?

Hope it helps ....

Quick update on mine - Guildford are taking it back in w/c 13 Sept to replace the drop-links.

Mine has already had new rear top mounts and rear shocks so they seem to think this is the last item it could be as the roll bar bushes looked OK.

They will also look at the rattling clutch (release bearing ?) and noisy rear shock (squelchy noise on bumpy corners.

Thank g*d for extended warranties B)