Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dudes,

just had a great day out in Norfolk and there was a classic car show there. Saw my first car I ever owned, a pristine Mk11 Cortina. Bought back a lot of memories.

Just wondered if any of you guys can remember your first cars and what they were.

I`m sure some of you will even remember the reg No. eh!

Happy memories Dudes

1954 Simca Aronde (1750cc I think)!

More rust than metal, cost me £8.10s in 1967, tpft insurance £20, put a refurbished clutchplate in it and did 10000 miles in 8 months. Bench seats front and rear. Column change. Replaced the exhaust front to back with 2inch copper - sounded - well I thought it sounded good!

Hey Ho those were the days

Mine was only 4 years ago so should be easy to remember!!! One of the first Punto's when they went to the new shape - Lingotto Gold it was same as GRiM's IS200 - W591 ONN - still see it driving round Chesterfield every now and then!

If you go to the RAC website and register for "my RAC" (which is free), you can enter registration numbers on their Vehicle data check page and it will tell you the make and model of car, how many owners, and when the ownership last changed. So you can see if any of these old bangers are still on the road!

A 1995 VW Polo L which I had from new is still on the road, but none of my other cars are. These include a 1991 Volvo 340, which remains the most expensive car I've ever owned in terms of spending money to fix the bits that kept breaking on it.

The oldest car I can remember my dad driving was an Austin Maxi 1750, XLG 255J. It had fairly plasticy seats with a ribbed design on the surface, on a hot day you'd have to peel yourself off it when you got out, and you'd end up with the imprint of the seat pattern on your legs.

Incidentally you can also check out your ideal registration on that RAC site. JON 1 is on an Aston Martin V12 Vanquish, do you reckon the current owner could be persuaded to part with it?