Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Insurance Hassle After Switching To 18' Alloys

luvlex

As noted in another thread, I decided to change my ageing, rotting alloys and switch to new 18s. I phoned my insurance company a while ago to ask if this had premium repercussions and they said no. Anyway, after I finally decided to splash out, I phoned them back to make sure. This time, they said that they couldn't insure me AT ALL if I put 18s on my car. To be honest, I was amazed at this; this seemed a pretty minor modification to me, especially considering my age (quite advanced :huh: ) and good driving record.

So, I had to go through all the hassle of getting quotes from elsewhere, i.e, phoning around, filling in online forms etc, as I really wanted the 18s. I wasn't getting any problems with the 18' alloys thing from other companies.

After getting a good quote, I rang my company to cancel the policy and they said that the info I got before was totally wrong and there was no problem with getting alloys 1 or 2 inches bigger. :angry:

So, I suppose the moral of the story is to make totally sure the person you're speaking to knows what they're talking about. I've heard that changing to bigger alloys could be a problem insurance wise, but the info I got for the companies I spoke to suggested that a 1 or 2 inch increase wasn't a problem

I haven't named my company, I've had no problem with them apart from this. In fact, the lady I spoke to today was really helpful and apologetic, so stayed with them!

Was it Elephant.co.uk? :shifty:  I've had a similar experience with them in the past.

I hate them coz you can never speak to a real person,s'pose thats the problem with on-line co's.

You can speak to them on the phone as well Pete.

Was it Elephant.co.uk? :shifty: I've had a similar experience with them in the past.

No, it wasn't them.

Let's say I got MORE THAN I bargained for with sorting out this issue. :blush:

As I mentioned though, they've been fine before and were indeed helpful today - I just had the wrong person pick up the phone before.