Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls400 Brakes Oem Or Aftermarket?

robkew

I’ve just been quoted £350+vat for Lexus to fit new front disks and pads to my 96 LS400. Given that they want to charge £80/h labour I cant help thinking that there is some scope to discount this.

I’ve not had to change the brakes since I bought the car so was wondering what route everyone else goes down? OEM is nice but at that price I’m tempted to go aftermarket, especially when brembo make replacement disks.

Can anyone recommend whether or not aftermarket is a good idea? Or does anyone know if US “rotors” will fit a UK car?

Is yours a MK1 or MK2. Can you post some pics of your brake calipers?

If it is an MK2 than your calipers are likely 4-pot calipers, so stopping power should be already very good. No need to change your brakes for brembo or so.

If you want better performance, you can opt for stainless steel brake lines and go for aftermarket brake pads and rotors.

Currently Prolex is doing a GB on pads, although these are not the same as yours, probably they can help you to get the Mintex ones that suit your car.

Dude,

With an 8 year old car why pay main dealer prices?????

Changing brake discs and pads on a 1996 LS400 is not rocket science, any decent garage should be able to do it for you.

I thought brembo upgrade kits for the LS400 cost upwards of £2000.

I would stick with OEM. However, US discs should fit UK cars. Just bear in mind that the pads and discs sold in the US MAY be slightly different to UK spec, although you would have to check.

There are numerous sellers on eBay selling cheap LS400 discs. Look there maybe.

Even Kwik-Fit will be able to do your pads and discs. They would use Mintex products.

You could always change them yourself if you have the time and inclination..

See www.lexls.com under tutorials section

I replaced my front discs with 'Blueprint' [Japanese] supplied by uk supplier.

The new pads were OEM....... :driving: although I don't do a lot of mileage, this combination has been perfectly OK.

• 1 month later...
Dude,

Changing brake discs and pads on a 1996 LS400 is not rocket science, any decent garage should be able to do it for you.

I thought Brembo upgrade kits for the LS400 cost upwards of £2000.

I would stick with OEM. However, US discs should fit UK cars. Just bear in mind that the pads and discs sold in the US MAY be slightly different to UK spec, although you would have to check.

There are numerous sellers on ebay selling cheap LS400 discs. Look there maybe.

Even Kwik-Fit will be able to do your pads and discs. They would use Mintex products.

if you are looking for aftermarket brake products try these order them online from the comfort of your chair and delivered to your door.....try fitting them yourself quite easy really

www.ebcbrakes4u.co.uk

• 8 months later...
Dude,

I thought Brembo upgrade kits for the LS400 cost upwards of £2000.

There are numerous sellers on ebay selling cheap LS400 discs. Look there maybe.

if you are looking for aftermarket brake products try these order them online from the comfort of your chair and delivered to your door.....try fitting them yourself quite easy really

www.ebcbrakes4u.co.uk

Dear All,

Please can I have your opinions and feedback?

I have recently aquirred a 98 MK4 LS400 it will shortly require a full set of Discs and of course pads.

I will be fitting them, and could go down the original equipment route, although having owned other LS400's I have reservations due to seemingly rapid wear of both discs and pads, and the accompanying dust emission and wheel corrosion problems.

I have scoured the owners site for an definative answer to no avail and am now asking for your direct opinions and experiences.

I am not adverse to fitting aftermarket items (and have read before but can't find it now) that several companies use brembo blanks and finish and retail them themselves, any knowledge?

We drive the car very sedately so extreme performance is not required.

Please would you give me your views on EBC, Mintex, Delphi and any other makes available that you have experience of?

I have been looking within the USA and found a set (4) of Brembo's for $308 (yes these are for a UK car) but with $195 shipping (surface carrier, air was a joke), import tax and of course VAT the attraction has been taken away!

Please respond.

Best regards,

Chris Vince

I think the brake wear on the discs/pads is not such a problem as it was on the very early cars,the early mk1 400s discs were not really up to the job causing them to overheat and made them easy to warp.

What ever disc you go for on your mk iv the wear rate should be alot less as Lexus should learnt from there early mistakes.

Cheers chips.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links