Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Is 300 Not Looking Good

pierb1

This is not good news - I would like the IS300 in red, but no cash just now. However if I see it at Edinburgh, things might go all wrong!!!!1

(Will be interesting to see what mark up it goes for, Ian!!)

Just been reading this thread and thought I should put some facts into the fray.

The cost new for a 01 51 BMW 330i SE Auto was £27310. You would have had to add at the very least leather and a CD player costing £1700, making it a £29,000 purchase. Cap Black Book, an industry standard, puts the value in a clean condition at £14300 for 22,000 miles. This represents a loss of £14700 or it being worth 49.3% of it’s original cost.

The figures for the IS300 are: New £25995, no extras and £13200. This means a loss of £12795, nearly £2000 less than the BMW and 50.8% of it’s original cost. The IS300 would still have much more spec.

I am not sure where you live but I would be happy to talk to you about buying it.

That's an excellent explanation thanks :D

• 4 weeks later...

Well just to let you know that all's well that end's well. Sold the Lexus on E-Bay of all places for £14100, which considering dealers were offering between 9k and 11.5k is quite a result. The moral of the tale is don't believe anything a dealer tells you about colour/spec etc, there's always someone out there who is after exactly what you have to sell. If the person that bought the car is reading this I hope it brings you as much pleasure as it did me, and you got a car that a dealer would have charged you another 2k for :D :D :D

Well done pierb1.

Thanks for the figures on depreciation LexusEdinburgh - I agree A ) the Lexus depreciates less than the "equivalent" beamer, and B ) yes you do have a right to make a profit to cover your habits as much as anyone :-)

However, I can never understand this car colour debate; I've seen almost exactly the same argument on the Boxa sites where yellow and green were regarded as colours that had higher depreciation than others. But surely the proportion of cars in a colour is related to popularity. So even if only 1% of buyers would want a yellow Boxster then almost by definition only 1% of Boxsters would be yellow - so their popularity would be in proportion to their numbers and price shouldn't be affected that much? I also heard the reverse argument i.e. that my Silver Boxster wouldn't sell as there are loads of them around - yes, but only because loads of buyers think that it's a good colour for that car. I could understand it if manufacturers made the same number of each colour - then some would be surplus to requirements and others would be in short supply - or am I missing something - maybe new car buyers have different tastes to buyers of second hand cars?

Tony

You are perfectly right but if there is only 1% of used car buyers that want the yellow one you need to sit and wait for them - be patient. If you will not be patient you will sell to a dealer who has enough money to be patient - but he will buy it cheaper to make profit.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links