Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cam Belt

andyman1966

In theory, the early V8s (Mk1 and Mk2) and newest 4.3V8s are non-interference, meaning that there is enough clearance between the pistons and valves that should the belt snap, you won't have lots of bent valves.

However, if you are debating whether or not to get the change the cambelt on your car, there is nothing to debate. Prevention is always better than cure!

• 5 months later...

:driving:

Hi

I am a new member just signed on but have been the proud owner of a Mk. IV LS 400 for the past year bought it from LEXUS at Sheffield Reg Mar 98 with only 34,000 on the clock beautiful car obviously no problems

I have just contacted Lexus Cambridge for an 'A' Service having only done 6,000 mile in the last year i.e. 40,000 on the clock and they inform me I should have the Cam Belt changed i.e. saying that 63,000 miles or 6 years is recommended although I have no reference to the 6 years in my service book only 63,000 miles as I was hoping not to have to face up to this for another two to three years on my projected mileage I would be my_kilm AT yahoo DOT co DOT uk grateful for a few opinions i.e. also been quoted approx £750 for an 'A' service + cam belt i.e. £217 for the service Also is there any feedback re Lex Cambridge or comments.

Look out for me in the Cambridgeshire area my Log in is my Reg No.

Edited by ScarFace

Hello mate, and welcome to the club !

I've edited your post, and fixed your email address ........ as posting your email on the correct form, will only result in an inbox full of spam, from the spam bots on scertain search engines ...etc ...

I can't answer your question on the Cam belt side of things........ but i'm sure someone will be along shortly !

I'm glad you also searched the forum before posting, you have set a fine example :D

It is up to you if you want the belt changed or not. You are correct the service book doesn't state a time (although it does in other countries). I would say the belt is good for 10 years as it is with the newer ones (100k miles)

Further to my enquiry re length of service from a cam belt on a LS 400 - I have trawled through the American Lexus Club site . - 128 pages over 2 years - and have not seen one instance when a club member has reported a broken cam belt - there are some cases in the USA where instances of replacing a cam belt on a 1990 LS for the first time at 150K have been reported.

I would add I have no intention of testing that theory.

• 3 years later...

My manual says 63K/6 years.

There's some confusion at Lexus though. One said 7 years, another thought 10 years before a little discussion, asking me what colour the manual ways and then agreeing it was 6 years.

It is up to you if you want the belt changed or not. You are correct the service book doesn't state a time (although it does in other countries). I would say the belt is good for 10 years as it is with the newer ones (100k miles)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Further to my enquiry re length of service from a cam belt on a LS 400 - I have trawled through the American Lexus Club site . - 128 pages over 2 years - and have not seen one instance when a club member has reported a broken cam belt - there are some cases in the USA where instances of replacing a cam belt on a 1990 LS for the first time at 150K have been reported.

Hi there

I dont know where this post came from on the 22nd Feb but I certainly did not post it and deny all knowledge of it

MJM 444

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi there

I dont know where this post came from on the 22nd Feb but I certainly did not post it and deny all knowledge of it

MJM 444

Yeah that was 3 years ago though..... 22nd feb 2005.... remember it now?

Pete

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi there

MJM 444

Yeah that was 3 years ago though..... 22nd feb 2005.... remember it now?

Pete

Hi Pete

Yes sorry I did not remember my post over 3 years ago I suppose I must have made it but I wonder my I refered to a 1990 model which does not have the same problems as the MkIV if the cam belt goes - I had my cam belt renewed at 45,000 after 7 years

Cheers

MJM444