Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Key Issue

The Wilo

Right i needed a new key as i only got one with my car so went to dealers after a few discusions and nerlly getting charged £245 for the pleasure i have been told that my car cannot have any more keys on it due to the key i have not beeing the master key. so they are saying that i would have to buy the ECU (witch is £700) plus any amount of keys i want, does this sound right, if so does anyone know of one in a scrappy that has more that one keys with the ecu??

cars are gettinh more complicated nowadays......i try contacting the previous owner, my (& friends/family) experience of buying a car,i always only get one key that is quite annoying since it comes out of my pocket for some spare keys. why dont these people just hand ALL the keys over when changing cars. not like there gonna need it!

anyway not sure how lexus computer system works(in parts department), when i owned a mazda i needed a spare key, i wen t to mazda(only option since local key cutting shops couldnt do it due to immobilser built into the key & being a mazda) & give them the chassis no or registration & they can find out the matching key without handing my exisitng one over. but like i say it probably more complicate d than that now due to lexus(&other cars) got more electrical components.

WILO ............ GET A SPARE KEY AND FOLLOW THE GUIDE >>>

PROGRAMMING A KEY TO USE WITH THE IMMOBILIZER .

HOW - BLACK KEY .

WITH THE PROGRAMMED BLACK KEY INSERT INTO THE IGNITION SWITCH .

WITHIN 15 SECONDS PRESS AND RELEASE THE ACCELERATOR 5 TIMES .

WITHIN 20 SECONDS .

PRESS AND RELEASE THE BRAKE PEDAL 6 TIMES .

REMOVE THE BLACK KEY .

WITHIN 10 SECONDS : INSERT BLACK KEY TO BE PROGRAMMED INTO THE IGNITION SWITCH .

WITHIN 10 SECONDS : PRESS AND RELEASE ACCELERATOR PEDAL ONCE .

IMMOBILIZER WARNING LAMP WILL FLASH .

AFTER 1 MINUTE IMMOBILIZER WARNING LAMP WILL GO OUT .

NOTE --- TO EXIT PROGRAMMING MODE : REMOVE IGNITION KEY AND PRESS BRAKE PEDAL AT LEAST ONCE WITHIN 10 SECONDS .

NOTE --- A MAXIMUM OF 7 KEYS CAN BE PROGRAMMED .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GREY KEY - HOW TOO .

INSERT BLACK PROGRAMMED KEY INTO THE IGNITION .

WITHIN 15 SECONDSPRESS AND RELEASE ACCELRATOR PEDAL 4 TIMES .

WITHIN 20 SECONDS : PRESS AND RELEASE BRAKE PEDAL 5 TIMES .

REMOVE BLACK KEY .

WITHIN 10 SECONDS : INSERT GREY KEY TO BE PROGRAMMED INTO THE IGNITION SWITCH .

WITHIN 10 SECONDS : PRESS AND RELEASE ACCELERATOR PEDAL ONCE .

IMMOBILIZER WARNING LAMP WILL FLASH .

AFTER 1 MINUTE IMMOBILIZER WARNING LAMP WILL GO OUT .

NOTE --- TO EXIT PROGRAMMING MODE : REMOVE IGNITION KEY AND PRESS BRAKE PEDAL AT LEAST ONCE WITHIN 10 SECONDS .

NOTE --- A MAXIMUM O 3 GREY KEYS CAN BE USED .

surly if he has a key that works then he can program more to work from that one ?

The keys don't get programmed. The car ECU gets programmed to work with the key you insert into it. To get the ECU programmed for a new key you need a currently programmed and working master key.

Most Lexus model 2001 onwards have an option to have a new key programmed even if the master keys are lost via Lexus diagnostic equipment, special software and security codes (only available at dealers). This may have been added to face-lift IS200 models (late 2001) or it still may not be possible.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah haaaa . I just worked on the fact that as long as you have one working key , then more can be added . I was`nt looking to argue about it , i just wanted to help the lad .

We still love ya mate :ph34r:

I was`nt looking to argue about it , i just wanted to help the lad .

Not looking to argue just trying to get this cleared up :)

It's important that owners understand the importance of their master keys. Lose them all and it will cost you £850+ to fix.

I had the same problem myself coz when i bought my car from the last owner he said he lost them all and only had the valet key, but i think he was lying for some reason coz he was a wierdo.... :lol:

Anyway, i got around this problem by telling my insurance company i lost all the keys and need new ones made up, i paid my excess on the policy and the no claims does not get affected. So i ended up with a brand new ECU and 3 keys all fitted by lexus cardiff through my insurance TEsco's. Every little helps :D

You can get keys cut to work with your existing ECU but apart from locking/unlocking your car they will be no good as they will not start the car. You will need a new ECU and set of keys, also the price you were quoted is correct, i know its a lot but................?

• 5 months later...

IVE JUST BOUGHT AN IS200 SPORT,

2 things i got to say:

1: i have 2 keys, 1 black eith boot relase (no snapped in two)

& 1 grey , with out boot release button

???is that normal. i didnt get 2 master keys !??

and 2 :: the owner gave me 1 black key and 1 grey key. the black key has snapped (metal key snapped from the remote plastic fob) .

i contacted lexus &was told it all had to be replaced ! (cant rejjoin / swap cases etc ) and will cost £180 inc vat + labour @ £70/hr (should take no more than 1 hr thet say)

i was also wondering if i could get a key to code in myself ???

could i get a key which has a boot-releae on to code myself??

You just need a blank key and get it cut. The electronics inside can just be swapped over.

who will supply and cut the blank and then install the transponder :question: gds

1 dealer will supply key blank and have key cut or look on eBay for blank

2. any key cutting shop can cut blank

3. u swap transponder over with the use of a screwdriver.