Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hid

jbi507

i have my new is200se on the way(picking it up in about 2 1/2 wks), i just wanted to know where can i pick up the HID, and how much they likely to cost.

Also is it possible to get a armrest?

thanks for any help.

Please be aware that fitting aftermarket HIDs without self leveling is illegal and therefore you do so at your own risk.

Not so,......after mine were fitted it went for an M.O.T and passed no problem.

Though it has manual adjustment.!!!!

It is so, just probably don't check it on the MOT.

That is why main manufacturers don't sell conversion kits, unless it's a complete retro fit kit complete with self leveling

http://www.hella-press.de/search_detail.ph...ge=e&newdir=eng

• 1 month later...

There is no reference in UK Law (Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989) to HIDs at all. It is therefore not illegal, as long as the bulbs have an 'approved mark' or an 'E' and they do not draw more than the designated power. IE 100W bulbs are illegal, 35w HIDs are not as long as they have the 'E' mark

There is no reference in UK Law (Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989) to HIDs at all. It is therefore not illegal, as long as the bulbs have an 'approved mark' or an 'E' and they do not draw more than the designated power. IE 100W bulbs are illegal, 35w HIDs are not as long as they have the 'E' mark

This is supposedly the view from the DoT though I can't prove it's authenticity:

---------------------------------------------------------------

guidance from The Department of Transport.........

Dear Sir,

The situation for Gas Discharge (HID High Intensity Discharge) (commonly known as Xenon) headlamps is complex.

I attach links to the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 which regulate the situation in the UK.

Under these Regulations Xenon headlamps are not mentioned and therefore they are not permitted according to the strict letter of the law.

However you will be well aware that new vehicles have Xenon headlamps. This is because they comply to European type approval Regulations. The UK cannot refuse to register a vehicle with a European type approval. These are to ECE Regulation 98 (for the Xenon headlamps which are tested on a rig in a laboratory) and ECE Regulation 48 (Lighting Installation on the vehicle).

For the aftermarket, a used vehicle cannot obtain type approval because it is only applicable for new vehicles. However we feel that saying "Xenon is banned in the aftermarket" would not be reasonable. Instead we should make analogies with new vehicles. It would be reasonable to require Xenon in the aftermarket to meet the same safety standards as on new vehicles. The same level of safety should apply.

Therefore a Xenon headlamp sold in the aftermarket should:

1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component.

2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place).

3, Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.

In practice this means:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

Hope that helps.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I was being followed by an S2000 one night and we got to a hill - at first the beam was too high when it started going downhill but it adjusted very quickly - at one point you could see the HID beam about 30 metres in front of me before it adjusted.

Pretty snazzy kit, looking forward to getting mine sorted :)

I was being followed by an S2000 one night and we got to a hill - at first the beam was too high when it started going downhill but it adjusted very quickly - at one point you could see the HID beam about 30 metres in front of me before it adjusted.

Pretty snazzy kit, looking forward to getting mine sorted :)

still doesnt answer my question

what does it level it to ?

Bazza,

I think in a nutshell the system is designed so that no matter what load you have in the car, the lights will compensate accordingly so as never to blind oncoming drivers.

Think it was introduced because a lot of people can't be ****d to lower the headlights down when the boot is fully laden and so they drive around blinding people, and HID's just emphasive this since they're so much brighter....

Anyone got more detail?

I'm guessing that the manufacturer picks a desired distance the light from the headlight should reach and then programs the self levellers to decrease the projection angle the more the car's load is at the back? Not sure if they all follow common standards though?

I see a lot of the 4x4's that don't seem to adjust correctly and they dazzle you when you're approaching!

You can get kits off eBay which are the full package from the IS300 including the self levelling computers etc but it's something like $700 - guess the lights will be pointing the wrong way anyway, but it does say that just the self-levelling kit is worth a grand so it's an expensive way to go!

I'm just going to turn down the leveller manually if there are any problems!