Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Changing Front Discs

Stu

Hi guys,

i have finally plucked up the courage to tackle the task of changing the front discs on the IS!

Problem is, i have no idea what i'm doing!

Has anyone got a written or photo doc on how to do it in laymans terms?

I've tried the workshop forum, but couldn't find anything on it.

I have a set of DBA Gold discs to put on, and am running standard pads, with no view to changing them anytime soon, unless i need to change them coz of changing the discs!

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys!

Stu

Probably the existing ones, depending on wear really, i may have to change them shortly anyway, so i am debating getting some new ones from prolex.

Would i have to bleed the system if i change the pads or the discs?

Stu

hi mate to change the discs is very easy, you better changing pads at the same time mate. to change the discs (after you take the wheel off) take the pads out 2 15 or 17mm nuts and lift top part of caliper off, then 2 bigger nuts 19mm i think and the rest of the caliper comes off out of the way, and the discs just come off (no nuts holding the disc in place)may need a tap.

stu,, check my big brake thread,,

basically remove the two 17mm bolts holding the calipers to the assembly,, pull/slide these away from the dsics.

use a hammer and gently tap the disc till it comes off,,

then refit new disc in reverse.

There not a problem to change... Just put everything in a pot/box as you go along... Did my mates ones a few weeks back at the end of his drive and some little f'er must of kicked one of the bolts up the road :lol:

Took us an hour to find it :hehe:

after you remove the old disc, [may need a tap to loosen it],don't forget to clean

the hub before you put the new disc on.

A smear of antiseize compound on as well is good, to stop the new one rusting on

Any dirt on here will not let the new disc run true, daft problems follow.

cheers ;)

Well, they are now on the car!

I thought it best to get on with them last night, as the brakes were a bit spongey to say the least, and boy am i glad i did!

It was a bit more taxing than i thought it would be, but not too bad that i couldn't do it.

The discs had lips on them both sides at about 4mm, and the pads had worn down to virtually nothing, so no wonder they didn't feel right!

When i had put them all back together and began the test run, i heard a scraping sound on the drivers side front, and it took me three wheel removals to figure out that i had clipped the disc guard with the hammer when i was attempting to remove the rather well seized bolts from the caliper assembly.

So with a little persuasion from the London Screwdriver, the guard was bent back to the right shape, and all was well!

The stopping power of the discs and pads is amazing, even when you considor that the pads haven't been bedded in yet, and i will be doing the rears the same just as soon as i can afford to buy the parts. Would reccomend this to anyone that wants a bit more stopping power!

Cheers to all the guys that have been involved in this, Dave at prolex for getting me the pads in such a hurry, Gordon for the mobile number, just in case i F***ed it up, Fargo for the advice etc etc etc, i have really appreciated your help guys, and hope i can return the favour someday!

Stu

(finally the mechanical menace gremlins have been put to rest!) :D

Funny you say that, i mentioned that to my Dad last night, and the reply was unprintable! :lol:

I think i'll just stick to normal aspiration for the IS, and do a few little bits like this myself before i attempt anything major!

Stu