Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

As the owner of a new - to me at least! - Series 1 could someone please let me know - 1. What is the small black dome under the windscreen on the left side of the dash for and should there be one on the other side to match?

2. Can't seem to get the rear seat squab up and don't want to pull too hard!! Is there a hidden catch somewhere?

3. In the tool kit - such as it is (my old Senator's was much superior in that regard only!!) - there's three hinged black metal plates and don't know what they're for or if they even belong!!

Hi derek and welcome.The dome is the pickup for your remote central locking.The seat squab! do you mean the centre arm rest?it doesnt have a catch,cant help there.The black metal plate is to be made up into a triangle to use as a chock to chock one of your wheels when you are jacking your car up.Kell

Hi Derek,

The small dome isn't for the central locking (that is via RF not infra-red). It detects sunlight and increases fan speed on the climate control to maintain correct cabin temperature. There should only be one.

If you mean the seat base it just pulls up on the MKII GS so I would guess the same on the MKI if there are no visible bolts etc.

As for the toolkit, probably basic because you shouldn't need to use it ;)

Very many thanks folks for the amazingly speedy responses. It's great to contact like minded folk (I'm a bit of a newie to computers as well!!) with an interest in cars - and Lexus in particular. Only had mine two months and am still learning, but its build quality certainly leaves my old GM iron standing!!

Will use a bit more force on the back seat!!

The lower ball joints got the thumbs down from Lexus Norwich main dealer the other day - too much play - even though had just passed the MOT. A third opinion from an AA tester thought it was "boarded line" so quess it'll be a job for sometime soon. Lexus want £300 a side so might look elsewhere as should think any competent garage should manage!!

Do you think??

Hi Derek,

The back seat is held in with 2 spring clips, each side about 5 inch's from the end - Just give a good tuck as good ol Mudzs says.

The took kit would normally contain 2 spanners - 8 - 10mm & 12 - 14mm, one scewdriver with a reversable tip and a wheel chock - the traingle shaped DIY jigsaw - LOL

BR

Paul

300 quid a side for ball joints from Norwich sounds very high. Had my (mark 2 GS) balljoints done at Norwich about a year ago (or less maybe) and I'm sure it wasn't that much. Might have been a tad over 300 for the two.

(I probably bored everyone silly by posting on here how much it was, but that means I'd have to search for my own posts, which is far too egocentric to contemplate).

Go Gold, Derek, is all I'll say at this point.

Very many thanks everyone for your friendly welcome.

Just to clarify the estimate for the cost of my ball joints as don't want to malign Lexus Norwich who are a friendly and helpful bunch. The suggestion of £300 a side was not a firm figure but came up in conversation with one of their technicians after the "Visual Safety Report". He also mentioned that an upper ball joint needed doing, but that would be closer to £400!!

Think the tool kit is complete after all, Norkep - it just seemed a bit of a weedy affair(!!) - never thought of a wheel chock Kelltina, doh!!

Thanks Wills for the suggestion of joints from the US but to go about getting them might be a step too far for my computer skills!!!

I've read that the correct torque on the wheel nuts is vital. Having tightened up alloy wheels over the years on various cars without the aid of a torque wrench have I been courting disaster??