Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Future Upgrade For Navigator ?

Has anyone heard if the new DVD Lexus Navigator satellite navigation system will be available as an upgrade for the units presently installed in the Mk II RX300's. :driving:

The addition of traffic avoidance and Bluetooth would make a big difference to an already good system. Even the Bluetooth integration alone would be worth having.

Is traffic avoidance what I think it is? something like it downloads traffic problems and will route you around them?

If so wow, is that available in current RX navigation systems or is it something coming in the future.

I am just about to place an order for an RX300 so if this is coming soon i will wait.

Dave

Yes it gets road information what many sourcing including RAC vehicles, trucks, maybe traffic master etc etc and receives it via the radio. It's not something that is on the RX at the moment and I doubt you will be able to upgrade.

Not sure why it has taken so long to put this on the Lexus models, it's been available on the Toyota range for years.

Lexus have informed dealers that prices are going up with the introduction of the 2005 models. We've just ordered ours a 2005 mainly as a result of the improved SatNav system. I understand that the old system will not be upgradeable. Changes are as follows to the satnav system:

Traffic Avoidance which works by getting information broadcast from radio stations (not heard of other information sources) even if radio is off and checks this against your route within a 5 mile radius of your location. It will then ask if you want to use an alternative route at which point it wil then reroute you. Other changes include integration with a Bluetooth compatible phone including ability to access phones phone book from the nav screen and finally 200 voice commands. The RX300SE will also get the swivelling headlight system. Price for SE model with these changes will go up £1000!

Hope that helps.

D

Traffic Avoidance which works by getting information broadcast from radio stations (not heard of other information sources) even if radio is off and checks this against your route within a 5 mile radius of your location.

All the info is received via the FM radio. Toyota themselves (or the company that runs the system) get the traffic info from various sources and then transmit it.