Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Automatic?

tazzz78

Hello all, gonna buy very shortly ( i hope) an IS200 that I have been dying for couple of years. Cash ready :D , but as I found this site and saw how many problems there are with the clutch, I am seriously considering byuing a car with auto gearbox (2000 year). Corect me if I am wrong, but problems are only with manual? I know it is not gonna be that much fun but if it's going to save me hassle...

Tazzz78

Both are as good as another.

If you prefer manual then get manual, I had no probs with mine to be honest.

If you like Auto get Auto..

Manual offers more playability .... :winky:

Thanks for you answer... I would love to have manual, but was a bit scared of by problems. Does anyone have had problems with auto?

Tazzz78

Thanks for you answer... I would love to have manual, but was a bit scared of by problems. Does anyone have had problems with auto?

Tazzz78

can't deny that some IS's have clutch / gearbox issues - some do, that is a fact.

But you have to remember that here (as on all forums / groups), you will usually only read the bad things - people post when they have problems.

No-one posts everyday saying "Another day where my car was fine, no problems or issues at all" :)

So, just because you have seen people posting about the gearbox, don't assume that all manuals will have the problem.

Test drive them.

The gear change should be smooth and precise.

Make sure you get in the car with the engine cold, and go up and down through the gears. Make sure you hit the 1-2 change a few times with it cold.

Try driving at low revs too - a few people have a clutch judder at lot revs.

theres no reason why you can't pick up a manual IS with a decent clutch and gear change ;)

Mate .... when I was buying my IS200 I had the same problems ..... "what do I get?" ... manual or auto ... I really coldn't decide.

But now I have bought an auto box i'm soo glad ! .. i'd never go back to a manual car ..... especially if you live in London, or an area with a lot of traffic .. the auto is the best option I think !

:ph34r:

I went auto only because I haven't had a manual since 1987 and I now prefer them.

On the rare occasions I get a company pool car to visit clients it is usually manual and what a pain having to change gear and wrestle with the clutch in London traffic.

What I can say though is that the auto box is nice and smooth and I believe is one of those fuzzy logic type units that adapts to your style of driving.

I find that I can adopt a more comfy and relaxed seat position not having to floor a clutch as well.

If you want an auto get an IS300 ;)

The IS200 manuals do have problems with gear change and clutch judder. Some are worse than others and some drivers notice it more than others. My wife doesn't have an issue with our IS200 but I notice both issues.

You get Cruise control on the Auto too, which is nice if you do a lot of motorway driving. Also you get a nice leather gearknob on a 2000 Auto, which is much better on cold mornings than a metal knob. :)

That said, the auto does feel slower than the manual, and its only a 4 speeder.

I got the impression that the is200 auto wasn't quite as desirable as the manual when I bought mine so I thought it might be a bit trickier selling it once I decide to get something else.

TBH I am thinking of getting an auto next anyway - possibly an is200 or 300 (where I won't have a choice anyway!) or maybe a GS300. I took an IS200 auto out for a long drive a couple of months ago (on a Lexus drive day) and actually found it really nice to drive - I've never had an automatic before so I was expecting it to be kind of awkward.

I think the gearbox on my IS200 is okay - sometimes you get a clunk going from first to second (especially if it's cold and you try changing too quickly) but apart from that, no problems at all. I thought the issue with the auto box is that it'll change up before the vvti steps in so a manual will always outperform it if you drive it hard and leave it in gear for longer (not that anyone buys an IS200 for the performance anyway!).

The auto box will go right to the red line under full throttle, it's just at part throttle it will change early and then if you accelerate more you have to wait for it to change down again.

Autos are slower because they are heavier, less efficient and have higher gear ratios (because it has less gears) than the manual box.

Also remember that vvt-i doesn't step in ;)

The auto box will go right to the red line under full throttle, it's just at part throttle it will change early and then if you accelerate more you have to wait for it to change down again.

Autos are slower because they are heavier, less efficient and have higher gear ratios (because it has less gears) than the manual box.

Also remember that vvt-i doesn't step in ;)

you talking about the 200 or 300 colin..

i have vvt-i i can feel it kick in..

i have 5 gears..

if you want it to change down quicker,, stick the ECT power button on..

cant say i noticed it changing at redline under ful throttle,, only when ECT is on do i notice this,,

with he 300 you get tiptronic also..

I was talking about the 200 but on any engine vvt-i doesn't kick in it's constantly variable timing not a cam lobe swap over like Honda's V-TEC.

The kick you feel is the engine management changing timing advance, fueling and shortening the inlet manifold via the ACIS valve. All Toyota dual cam engines do this, vvt-i or not.

I was talking about the 200 but on any engine vvt-i doesn't kick in it's constantly variable timing not a cam lobe swap over like Honda's V-TEC.

The kick you feel is the engine management changing timing advance, fueling and shortening the inlet manifold via the ACIS valve. All Toyota dual cam engines do this, vvt-i or not.

uhU,, i have been learn-ed

• 3 weeks later...

I wasn't sure which to go for, but after test driving both I opted for the auto. For the driving I do day to day the auto is far smoother, and it's surprisingly economical (for an IS200) - I get around 420 miles out of a tank.

• 4 weeks later...

the AUTOS are slower to set off, and have around 4 mph less at top speed. I own a IS200SE, and it is quite quick. Spesh when you go over 70mph, and place your foot to the floor, it drops down and gives you all the power you need, also, it has sports mode, which takes revs to 6040 when you need that extra power.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I'm just a bit too late :crybaby:

Anyway :blush:

Both are good but I prefer Automat, it is Lexury about :P .

When TTE developed Compressor Kit they recommended Auto gearbox because this box is over dimension manufactured for Lexus IS200. For various reasons Lexus IS300 have a Auto gearbox. It's mine point of view.

Advantage

1. Auto box tolerates best when pertain to all Lexus cars

2. Lexury feeling

3. It durable best

Disadvantage

1. Autos are slower than manuel

2. Bad acceleration

3. some pepole to come lazy

4. Nothing else

• 1 month later...

I have an IS 200se Auto, choice was mainly due to the fact that I do a lot of motorway miles and inner city driving so, as someone has already quoted, I became lazy, however it is easy driving.

I mean, I get on the motorway, set the cruise control to 70 :driving: (not that I ever exceed the limit!!! :whistling: ) and kick off my shoes and get in the back, lie down, close my eyes, have a kip and then arrive safe and sound!!!!

Seriously, the cruise control came as standard on the se auto, I also have a mate that bought the manual and said it was a pain in the arse when you accelerate out of a junction and then have to change halfway out due to the 6 speed box!

Its a personal choice in the end. I got the auto cos it can be an old mans auto or you can hit the PWR button and keep the revs longer for some fun! albeit not as quick as the manuals or as good mpg, the decision... is yours!!!

Hope that helps

Billy

Edited by ColinBarber

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links