Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Will A S/c Damage My Stock Engine?

PhoneDrome

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well TTE dont think that there is a problem with it when used in its standard form,, yeh you can uprate the pulley for more power, but will that cause a problem,, some say yes some say no..

i guess you could runthe risk of melting your precats,, but as a matter of course people are removing them..

however nitrous puts less stress on the engine (when applied properly)....but thats another topic..

It was Chris Shipley's car that had the engine problem, don't think it was anything to do with the S/C but Chris should be able to confirm.

Have done > 10,000 miles with mine on now and no real problems to be fair, just the problem of needing the spring upgrade and there's also the supercharger cradle which has snapped in one place, which is a pretty common problem from what the S/C guys have said.

chris shipperley had an engine failure

lexus state the will not honour the warranty if any problems are a direct result of the supercharger being fitted

lexus paid for chris`s repairs :D

says it all !

the supercharger cradle is a common problem

the bar snaps on the weld

best bet is to remove it

as it doesnt do anything anyway and causes no problems without it

I heard about the cradle problem. Now they fit a better one.

But what about the engine. The conrods seem very weak for the extra load they get without decreasing the pressure with a slightly thicker head gasket.

Stock compression is sth like 1/10. Which seems very high (normal 1/8?). But I don't think the s/c delivers so much extra load. Not as much as a T/C.

How does a S/C effect the "Standfestigkeit" (dunno: stability?) of the engine?

Will it do 150000 miles +?

Think there is not very much experience about it. Don't know about a supercharged IS with more than 150000miles.

-------------------------------

Whatever... I will get her supercharged... have fun know... but want more tomorrow :)

Thanks for all your advice.

Stock compression is sth like 1/10. Which seems very high (normal 1/8?). But I don't think the s/c delivers so much extra load. Not as much as a T/C.

Yes stock compression is 10.0:1. This isn't high these days, it was quite a few years ago that engines were 8.0:1. In fact the IS200 engine has the lowest compression ratio in the Lexus range. All the other engines are 10.5:1 and some of the other Toyota engines run at 11.5:1

The s/c doesn't produce that much boost pressure so the compression ratio shouldn't be a problem.

How does a S/C effect the "Standfestigkeit" (dunno: stability?) of the engine?

Will it do 150000 miles +?

I guess that is an unknown. However it would have more to do with how the car is driven. If you were to drive a standard IS at 6,000rpm all the time I doubt it would see 150,000 miles without needing some engine work.

yeh you can uprate the pulley for more power, but will that cause a problem,, some say yes some say no..

I heard a rumour that TTE had tried a larger pulley with bad consequences so do not recommend it. I contacted Friedel Beyer (Peace be upon him) of TTE about this, who catagorically denied the rumour or that any further work was done on the is200.

This leads me to the conclusion that it was either done in secret or that the rumour is BS or Beer Boll*x. I tend to favour the latter.

If it is of any interest, we have sold 9 stage 1 conversions over the last couple of years and have not seen or heard about any engine failures or any other problems yet, but the support technology that goes with the conversion is of no small magnatude or expense.

We do not know for sure what the load tolerance is, but I suspect that it is in the region of 0.6 bar if the conversion is done properly. Simon Skippy's turbo conversion runs 0.6 bar, and our stage 1 upgrade runs 0.5 bar.

I would say that anyone considering using the supercharger conversion hard and/or for extended periods should consider uprating the rods as a form of insurance.

This leads me to the conclusion that it was either done in secret or that the rumour is BS or Beer Boll*x. I tend to favour the latter.

Mark, why is everything always Bull****..........

it was me who told you that,

Unfortunately sometimes emails and posts do not portray the intended meaning :crybaby:

Sorry Mat, there is absolutely no reflection on you. I heard that from another source but I did ask you about it as I know you have connections at TTE :ph34r:

Sometimes rumours start by misunderstandings or mischief and sometimes they are started maliciously. There was a thread started sometime back that appeared to be attacking our stage 1 upgrade by invoking TTE not recommending a boost upgrade. When I tried to get to the bottom of it, the most credible facts that I could obtain supported the view that the rumour was untrue.

It may well be that TTE did try an upgrade in secret that Friedel is unaware of, or it may be that Friedel does not want to tell me that they did try it but it was not successful.

I am only conveying the facts as I know them (without inferring any blame or fault for starting rumours), and hope that someone can correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers! :)

So was my engine a one off or will it go again

I have seen an engine throw a rod, but this was following extreme abuse whilst the exhaust system was bent in half which created massive EGT's leading to a catastrophic failure.

The rods look about as strong as sparrows fingers, but they are holding up at around 290hp (although I wouldn't like to say for how long), and I certainly wouldn't use them if the rev limiter was removed.

I have seen an engine throw a rod, but this was following extreme abuse whilst the exhaust system was bent in half which created massive EGT's leading to a catastrophic failure.

Sorry, but I don't understand this sentence. Could you explain it a little bit more, please?

Sorry, but I don't understand this sentence. Could you explain it a little bit more, please?

"Throw a rod" is an old term used in the industry to describe a connecting rod that has broken and comes out of the cylinder block leaving a gaping hole.

If it is of any interest, we have sold 9 stage 1 conversions over the last couple of years and have not seen or heard about any engine failures or any other problems yet, but the support technology that goes with the conversion is of no small magnatude or expense.

All stage 1 owners are now searching for wood to touch with this comment, fortunately my desk at work is wood some I'm alright.....

Sometimes rumours start by misunderstandings or mischief and sometimes they are started maliciously. There was a thread started sometime back that appeared to be attacking our stage 1 upgrade by invoking TTE not recommending a boost upgrade. When I tried to get to the bottom of it, the most credible facts that I could obtain supported the view that the rumour was untrue.

It may well be that TTE did try an upgrade in secret that Friedel is unaware of, or it may be that Friedel does not want to tell me that they did try it but it was not successful.

I am only conveying the facts as I know them (without inferring any blame or fault for starting rumours), and hope that someone can correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers! :)

i started a post a while ago - i asked Friedel and Gerald about a boost upgrade and his/their reply was a catagoric - do not change the kit from standard/perform a boost upgrade as the engine is running near its limits anyway. i thought it wise to pass this info onto the fellow members.

If i remember i think i added the reply? im sure u will have a copy of it so can u check for me?

@Andi

Das Abgasrohr war verbogen, daher konnten die Gase nicht richtig ausströmen, erzeugte viel Hitze (EGT) und verursachte jede Menge Gegendruck in den Motor (backpressure).

Jetzt müsstest du's verstanden haben. :D

==================

@TDIplc

Hmmm... SiSki's turbo IS200 produced tons of heat, in cause it was

a bit overpowered for stock internals.

It ran a bit hot always, because of too much boost possibly. :whistling:

I'd say 230-260HP on stock internals you can be safe on street.

I wouldn't want to check it out on a race track. ;)

i started a post a while ago - i asked Friedel and Gerald about a boost upgrade and his/their reply was a catagoric - do not change the kit from standard/perform a boost upgrade as the engine is running near its limits anyway. i thought it wise to pass this info onto the fellow members.

If i remember i think i added the reply? im sure u will have a copy of it so can u check for me?

I guess that if that quote was put into the correct context, ie do not raise the boost pressure alone (without the correct supporting parts), that would be wise advice.

If the quote was meant to be univeral advice, I would say that the supporting evidence of several successful conversions would indicate that the advice is wrong.

I still don't understand whether the quote was supposed to be based on any testing or whether it was just speculation, as I have the emails from Freidel saying that they have never tried raising the boost. Please confirm this Rob as the members should be clear on this important issue, and I am very interested myself - thanks.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links