Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice Needed

andyhart21

Hi guys, I could do with some advice. I am currently in dispute with a certain Lexus dealership over them (I think) trying to rip me off. The story goes like this:

My LS400 engine was making an unusual noise one morning (any noise is unusual from an LS400 engine!) I rang the AA and the guy did not want to touch an LS, so they ended up trailering it into the said dealership. After putting the diagnostics on the car they rang me and told me my engine was knackered. They said that the noise was piston slap and would require a strip down to diagnose the problem further.

The more I thought about this, the more I disagreed with it. Piston slap would give several other symptoms such as heavy oil consumption and low compression. Also, how could an engine be running fine one day then have piston slap the next? I then rang Chris Shipley and Mick at Lexus Hanley for a second opinion. Mick diagnosed the fault within 2 minutes over the phone and it was nothing more than carbon build-up. Some of the carbon had swelled with fuel and dropped off onto the top of the piston. The noise of this banging into the cylinder head was what I could hear. A can of de-coking agent later and the car was right as rain. The car never uses a drop of oil between oil changes and runs almost silently. Mick also said that this is a common problem in high mileage LS400's and he has seen it on numerous occaisions before.

I then contacted the dealership again to tell them this, and they said this could not possibly be the case and I must have added an oil additive to mask the noise! If anyone could invent an oil additive that totally masks the effects of piston slap, they would be very rich indeed!

After being messed around and fobbed off for a further 3 weeks (numerous promised phone calls not being delivered etc) I contacted Lexus directly who in turn sent me straight back to the dealership who promised to investigate it further. They have now done this and have said that they were correct in their diagnosis and they will take no further action.

My biggest problem is this: I could have quite feasibly spend a couple of grand on a recon engine on their say so when all it needed was decoking. I reckon they were trying to charge me for work that did not need doing.

At first I was only interested in getting my money back that they charged me for the diagnosis (£45) but it has gone too far for that now.

I now have the dilemma of wether to have an independent inspection done to prove them wrong and trying to recover the cost of this from them as well, or to do nothing and forget the whole thing. I am very reluctant to do the latter option out of principle but I want to know what you lot would do? What are my chances of getting the money back?

Cheers guys :)

I had a simaler problem with a volvo i bought, and although in the end i won and got all repairs etc carried out the hassle it involved was enormous.i would say if all you are out of pocket by is £45 i would not bother ,and would just add the name of the dealer to your post, but not accuse them of this but just state the facts .

i would say if all you are out of pocket by is £45 i would not bother ,and would just add the name of the dealer to your post, but not accuse them of this but just state the facts .

Ditto...it aint worth the hassle,find another Lexus dealer to go to if you need things done.

I know for the sake of £45 it is not worth the hassle but its the principle of it. It could be one of you guys that gets screwed next don't forget........

By the way I forgot to mention, the group that owns the dealership has also tried to rip off several of my friends through other franchises. I think I see a pattern developing here.

I will have a think about it tonight and if I decide not to persue it I will name and shame the dealership.

I know for the sake of £45 it is not worth the hassle but its the principle of it. It could be one of you guys that gets screwed next don't forget........

I thought the same thing and mine was for nearly 13k so know were you are comming from ,but it took me three months of phone calls faxing and having reports done to screw the :tsktsk: d .But by posting the dealer name in the dealer reveiw section or even on the main board you will insure none of us get screwed by the dealer in question .the biggest problem i had was volvo uk would not get involved and just kept reff me back to the dealer to sort it out ,it was only when in the end i decided to take it to court they gave up ,but this is costly and as i said a lot of hassle.wierdest thing was when i took my lexus back for its first service the saleman that sold me the volvo had started work for them ,i nearly walked straight out and i think he nearly had a heart attack on the spot :P .Good luck

Hi Andy, Long time mate......... I know where u are coming from about the garage but to be honest mate its not worth all the hassle to get the £45 back, but that all depends how u plan your course of action! here is a quick and easy way to do it.

Contact whover you have been dealing with at Lexus GB and via email/letter etc simply inform them that if u do not recieve a refund then you will be contacting the automotive press with full details of the events.

im sure you will be recieving a refund or a phone call shortly after.