Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Motor Cyclist 1 - Wing Mirror 0

mcwatson

Travelling in on the A40 yesterday morning in what was very slow moving traffic. I wanted to change lanes from the 'fast' to the 'middle lane. Very conscious that motorbikes travel between these two lanes of traffic, I always look out for them. Some travel with care and others just try to get through as quickly as possible. I looked in my left wing mirror and couldn't see anything so indicated and moved across. Unfortunately, a bike travelling at a stupid speed came roaring up and hit the brakes to not hit me. Realising I had inconvenienced him, once I had moved over, I put my hand up to my drivers door window to apologise and he left hooked my wing mirror as he went past bending it right round to face the wrong way and putting a very small scratch on it.

Whilst I understand he had the hump, I also thought it was unnecessary as he was speeding, its not an official traffic lane that he was travelling in and I acknowledged and tried to apologise for crossing his path.

:angry: Somewhat annoyed, :angry: I went to my local police station to report him as I got his reg plate. They said I could do him for criminal damage but I said for what it has caused, its not worth it and I certainly aren't going through the insurance as it will cost more in the end. But the police can call him and have words with him which is what I'm more bothered about. But as I live in the Thames Valley police area and this happen in the Met area, I have to go to a more local station to where it happened. Will be doing that later.

:question: But why can't motorcyclists understand that if you take the risk of 'racing' through stationary or slow moving traffic, cars can't always have enough time to cross lanes without getting in the way!! I'm sure I'll upset some on here who drive as well as ride but I thought I did my best and look what I got back!!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fail to see how you didnt see him or even hear him

yet you say he was going at a stupid speed

he also managed to stop !

couldnt have been that much a silly speed

remember its his life that is danger

not his vehicle

motorbikes arent all driven by hells angels, even you can appreciate how annoyed he might have felt,

"inconvienced him" is hardly what you did !!

i wonder if its a case of scratched pride :whistling:

Driving between lanes is illegal and dangerous as proved by that motorcyclist and others.

All the time on the M4 in the rush-hour motorcycles "filter" past me between lanes 2 and 3 even at junctions where loads of cars are changing lanes and often at a high relative speed. I'm amazed that more of them aren't killed. You can bet that if I see a gap where I can start moving across to an exit a motorcycle will whizz past at that point.

I don't appreciate the extra stress of always having to be aware that another vehicle may suddenly be at the side of me in my lane just cms away and that the slightest sideward movement because of wind, camber, pothole etc could result in a collision.

Last year my car was hit by a motorcyclist driving between lanes. Knowing he was in the wrong he failed to stop. I reported him to the police and it took months to get his insurance details and go to court. In the end the judge found in his favour cause he was the poor little motorcyclist. My solicitor said that where there is any doubt judges take the side of motorcyclists. You can guess why I'm not so impressed with that type of riding.

Are you a current or ex biker dobedo? Your comments sounds like your one!

See him? - when in a straight line of solid traffic, its half dark and headlights are on and bikes are weaving in and out of lanes, you can't always see them. He also left it until the last minute to brake to prove a point. As for hearing him, not sure how much time you spend in your car but try sitting in traffic with all the windows closed and tell me if you hear a bike coming from behind unless its under full acceleration.

My point if you understood where I was coming from was that I was critiscising his reactions, not his reasons! I'd have preferred a hand signal to show retaliation than damaging my car. I've always had respect for motorcyclists, I even move right over to let them through.

When the next person gives your car a whack because you did something wrong, I look forward to your posting!

Driving between lanes is illegal and dangerous as proved by that motorcyclist and others.

I don't think it is illegal. Well i hope not anyway. I did my bike test last year and we were taught this by our instructor. As far as I know it is legal up to 30 mph.

Are you a current or ex biker dobedo? Your comments sounds like your one!

how did you guess :whistling:

ok fair point

but, and i dont imagine you are one, there are a lot of drivers out there who have no respect or the slightest care for the motorcyclist, and when the cyclists are knocked off or damage thier cars its allways the cyclists fault,

lets face it you wouldnt ride a bike and then sit behind the traffic would you ?

the problem with a lot of drivers is that they sit in traffic, then weave between lanes, to which ever one is moving quicker, often without a thought to what might be behind them

agree that their are some mad sods around ,normally the courier ones,

as for the damage caused it was probably the riders first reaction, good job he didnt decide to lash out with his foot :crybaby:

not excusable , but understandable

i wouldnt have thought he had any intention of damaging your car , but just inconviencing you, as it would have been easier to have lashed out with his foot causing far more damage, in his opinion he probably felt that you had threatened his safety !!

hopefully he will slow down a bit

:)

i think its mad motorbikes are allowed to use the invisable lane and if they take stupid risks then they deserve what they get .another thing that bugs me is when you are at traffic lights and they come up the outside and just sit in front of you when the lights are red ,i tried this once when a bike did this to me ,he went in front so i just turned around him and sat in front of him ,his face was a picture .i would have him done as his reation caused criminal damage and would have shaken up most people

I don't think it is illegal. Well i hope not anyway. I did my bike test last year and we were taught this by our instructor. As far as I know it is legal up to 30 mph.

Well then it's illegal at 70mph+ on the motorway.

i think its mad motorbikes are allowed to use the invisable lane and if they take stupid risks then they deserve what they get

Except the problem is that it affects the other driver too in stress if there is no collision and in damage and cost if there is.

Well then it's illegal at 70mph+ on the motorway.

Good point they do this all the time as well often when you are in the fast lane they come down the inside :angry: using that invisable lane again

I hope so too, my complaint to the police was not to press charges but too ask for him to be informed that his actions were not acceptable. Had I been able to catch up with him, I would have probably dealt with it in a different way and one that I could have been just as irresponsible as the rider.

Funny enough, I have ridden a motorbike but admittedly, only a moped for the year between 16 and 17 years of age until I was allowed to drive. I too drove between lanes of traffic and I do occassionally went too fast for the speed of traffic. On one occassion, I did come across a car changing lanes and collided but fortunately caused no damage as I had almost stopped when I touched it.

So I fully understand why bikers go between traffic and don't object to it, I just think they should go at a speed that considers cars will change lanes. As it is a matter of life that bikes will go between traffic, so is the fact that cars will change lane so we should ALL consider each others actions.

Your never guess what, I've just spoken to a work colleague who is a biker for his opinion and he was advised that the whacking of a wing mirror is the best option if you want to get back at a car driver for doing something wrong as it causes the least amount of damage, gets the point across to the driver and the police can't do much.

And guess where this advice came from??

Yes, unofficially from a police officer!!!!

Your never guess what, I've just spoken to a work colleague who is a biker for his opinion and he was advised that the whacking of a wing mirror is the best option if you want to get back at a car driver for doing something wrong as it causes the least amount of damage, gets the point across to the driver and the police can't do much.

right, thats it, i'm rigging my wing mirrors to explode if hit with any force :ph34r: that'd teach em!

I used to ride a bike for while, and yes, in heavy traffic i would go between lanes of cars - but i always used to be cautious - whether or not it is illegal - the biker is moving faster than the rest of the traffic, and as such, should be more aware...

from your incident - i think its bang out of order, sure the odd hand gesture to show your peed off, but actually hitting the car - well out of order

:lol: Beats kicking the door in. :lol:

another thing that bugs me is when you are at traffic lights and they come up the outside and just sit in front of you when the lights are red

As far as I know, it's illegal for motorcyclists to filter on the zigzag lines and they can be given points and a fine for doing so (if caught by the Police of course).

another thing that bugs me is when you are at traffic lights and they come up the outside and just sit in front of you when the lights are red

As far as I know, it's illegal for motorcyclists to filter on the zigzag lines and they can be given points and a fine for doing so (if caught by the Police of course).

Mudz, if a vehicle is caught overtaking / undertaking on the 'approach' of a pedestrian crossing, it's endorceable by 3 points, and a £60 fine !

How did the peugot loose it like that? Competely mad.

see its not allways the bike at fault

Agreed. Given that there are so many car drivers who don't indicate or use their mirrors and change lanes unexpectedly you'd have to be pretty stupid to filter between lanes on a motorbike.

..... and having a look at that video again, he carried to much speed into the bend, then he braked hard round the bend (big no no) ! which caused him to slide out and loose control ! - Ouch !