Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Speed Cameras

danny_boy

right i was driving 30mph on a 30 zone(31 mph at the very most but im very sure is not even that as i always watch my speed when it comes to speed cameras). & the speed camera flashed twice. can i still get done for it?

on the other hand i suspect it was the car driving the opposite direction that triggered it as that car was going very fast.(i know speeding the opposite direction makes the camera flash as it happened to me before, i was going 37mph & a speed camera on the oposite direction flashed but nothing came through the post).

supposing it was the car on the other direction that was footing it & triggered the speed camera am i the scapegoat in this i.e. do i get the blame as the speed camera is on my side of the road & my car happens to be there??

Erm, in theory mate you should be okay as if they've got photos they can calculate your speed from the distance travelled from the first pic to the second in the elapsed time and work it out from there.

I'm not legally minded however :P

Usually it is 10% of the speed limit i.e. 40 MPH ALLOW FOR 44MPH

70MPH - 77MPH This is for speedo' s because they are not all calibrated by the same people so there is an allowance.( So I am reliably informed) But the photo would show who was speeding if it was the guy going the other way the it would not have your photo on it on the distance markers.

I got double flashed on the A41 a month ago..............doing 48 in a 40 limit..............no nothing, i thought all the cameras especially in London were now digital.........maybe theyre not ^_^ ...............unless the post is very slow :unsure:

Think you have to receive the letter in a certain time or they can no longer prosecute. Anyone know who long?

You have to be issued with a N.I.P (notice of intended prosecution) within 14 days.

This can sometimes be extended to allow upto 28 days.

If nothing is received by 28 days, then you shouldn't be prosecuted !

Speed cameras are supposed to allow 10% + 2.

So that means a 30 mph hour should only prosecute if you are caught doing 42mph or more.

But that is only ACPO GUIDELINES. Some forces may chose to disregard that, if they have a valid enough reason - i.e I child was knocked down recently at 38mph etc.

This link also says the 10% + 2mph:

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:jrrtrg9...d+cameras&hl=en

The Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) lays down guidelines for camera trigger speeds (the average trigger speed is in the region of limit + 10% + 2 mph) although there are local variations

So is the basic 40mph read from what our speedo's show or would be be taken from the genuine speed (like GPS stuff shows?) as that introduces even more variation?

Peeps ...... My original thread, was 10% + 2 , ...... the guidelines ARE

10 % + 2

But the point i'm trying to make it, they are only Guidelines, .... it is not a MUST that they are adheard to !

But is the basic speed taken from the speedo or GPS?

Say in a traffic car mate, do they go off what their speedo shows the speed at, or what the GPS shows the speed at? Another question, are the speedos in police cars specially tweaked to show the exact speed or are they the same as the basic car, ie they're high by a few mph?

Have always wondered!

But is the basic speed taken from the speedo or GPS?

Say in a traffic car mate, do they go off what their speedo shows the speed at, or what the GPS shows the speed at? Another question, are the speedos in police cars specially tweaked to show the exact speed or are they the same as the basic car, ie they're high by a few mph?

Have always wondered!

The speedos in TRAFFIC police cars are tweaked once a week back at the traffic garage, because they are fitted with cameras, they have to tweak there speedos at least once a week to make sure they are acurate.

Normal police cars (not traffic) will very rarely give you a ticket for speeding, whilst driving behind you. If they happen to give you a ticket for speeding, then the police car 'should' go back to the traffic base and have the speedo calibrated by traffic officers.

As for the Gatso's ... that simply works out the speed by the equation of distance and time, between those lines painted on the road !

• 1 year later...

I got my NiP today - damn! - A40 WB just before A312 turn off - Gatso!

Quick question(s), once i declare who was the driver what will they ask for?

It wasnt me driving!

If i ask for the evidence, ie the two Gatso Photos, does that automatically mean i must go to court and give up my FPN option?

Do they require MOT, insurance, tax papers, ie a producer, to be sent to them now or ever during the proceedings?

Do the procedures vary according to different constabularies?

My NiP is from the Met if it makes a difference

I got my NiP today - damn! - A40 WB just before A312 turn off - Gatso!

Quick question(s), once i declare who was the driver what will they ask for?

It wasnt me driving!

If i ask for the evidence, ie the two Gatso Photos, does that automatically mean i must go to court and give up my FPN option?

Do they require MOT, insurance, tax papers, ie a producer, to be sent to them now or ever during the proceedings?

Do the procedures vary according to different constabularies?

My NiP is from the Met if it makes a difference

I had one of these last month.......requested the photo which damn well showed it was me alright and the registration was clear. Requesting the photo is your right and does not affect the FPN option and all you need to do is send back the form to the court along with the paper licence part plus the £60.

Thanks for that. But when do i request the photos?... Now while i have the NiP or wait til i tell them who was the driver and then request the photos?

To cap it all i got a Bus lane infringement today from TfL. It has not very clear photos attached but it says they have video footage. Can i request thier video and if so do i waive my right to a 50% discount on the £100 fine?

Not a very good week for me so far as you can probabyl tell. I hope i dont get any more nasty suprises.... really nervous everytime i see the posty now.

:duh: