Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Is The Difference?

Can anyone tell me what the major differnce is between a Harrier 3.0litre, RX300 3.0Litre and a 3.3 Litre RX 330??

How does Lexus name their cars? Different by countries?

Incase of Japan, they call it Harrier (2.4l and 3.0 litre)

In case of Great Britain: RX300 (3 litre)

In case of Germany, USA: RX330 (3.3litre)

This is my assumption, if the car has 3 litre engine, it is called RX"3"00

If the car has 3.3litre, it is RX"33"0.

I am puzzled becasue the new hybrid which has 3.3l is called RX400h?

Someone pls help.

A Harrier is an imported Toyota with Lexus badges stuck on it, usually easy to spot as the wing mirrors are on the wings not on the doors.

RX300 is a 3.0, the RX330 is a 3.3.

They are both V6 engines from the Toyota Camry, the 3.0 was replaced by the 3.3.

When the Camry was recently facelifted (and discontinued from the UK) the 3.0 V6 was replaced with a 3.3 VVT-i V6 unit, which subsequently also went in the RX as the RX330.

The new hybrid one is called the RX400 or similar as the combined petrol and electric would generate power equivalent to that of a 4.0 engine.

Hope that's helped a bit.

Thanks James, your information cleared up many things.

It's interesting how you said that the Harrier is an imported Toyota with Lexus badges stuck on it.

As a matter of fact, I am now considering to purchase a Harrier here in Japan and stick Lexus Badges on it.

These badges can be costly.

So from your info, my 3.0liter Harrier should have a RX300 NOT a RX330 badge on it. Am I correct?

Can you help me again?

The RX330 as sold in the US, is produced in Canada.

Since the US style of driving is a bit different compared to Europe and Japan, US people want more torque and that why it has a slightly bigger engine. The 3.0L and 3.3L engines are very alike, but some people that have driven both the RX330 US version and the RX300 European version, commented that the RX300 is more sporty and the 3.0L is more responsive than the 3.3L.

The US used to have the RX300 in the series I. Lexus put in a bigger engine for the series II in the US.

So from your info, my 3.0liter Harrier should have a RX300 NOT a RX330 badge on it. Am I correct?

Yes

They are both V6 engines from the Toyota Camry, the 3.0 was replaced by the 3.3.

Although the 3.0 is still used in the RX300 in the UK and harrier in Japan - no plans to replace this.

It's not just the Camry engine the RX uses - it is basically a complete Camry with different body shell and modified suspension/chassis.

Thanks so much for the information.

I went to the Toyota dealer in Japan today and decided to purchase the Harrier 3.0 litre, Balack metallic.

I have also decided to remove the "Harrier" badge and purchase the Lexus badges and stick them on. (These badges costs so much!!!!)

I will have the RX300 badge on the back instead of the RX330 badge.

What do you think about my idea?

Again, just out of curiousity, if you see a RX300 running in the UK with a Harrier badge on it, will it be an eye opener? (I am trying to do the opposite here in Japan )

Any of your opinions will be helpful

You would never see a Lexus RX300 with Harrier badges on it. Most (nearly all) of the Harriers that have been imported have been made to look like a Lexus to hide the fact it is an import. Imports are much cheaper than an official UK car and people don't want to highlight the fact they have a cheap car.

Colin

I heard that most of the Lexus RX are made in Japan and exported.

It is interesting that an imported Toyota brand Harrier to the UK is considered to be a cheap car.

What's the differnce between a Toyota and a Lexus? It's just a brand image right?

To me the interior and the exterior is identical

hmmm very interesting

Jdmparts

Thanks for your kind offer. I should have contacted you first. I already made the purchase of the emblems.

Yes the RX is either made in Japan or Canada. All UK RXs come from Japan.

It is an image thing + resale value + ease of servicing + warranty + insuranc etc.

Our UK Lexus models have more standard equipment over the JDM models. Also you cannot get a Harrier Sat Nav to work in the UK without spending £2000 on a new Navigation unit.

Colin

Your explanation is just great.

Lexus will open up its Japan distribution centres next August. The Toyota dealers were complaining that the Celsiors and Aristos sales were down due to this very reason. The consumers are simply waiting to buy the Lexus version of the Celsiors and Aristos.

He also mentioned that the Harrier will eventually be transfered to the Lexus brand probably when the Harrier will have its next facelift.

You can only find a RX330 emblem in Japan. This does not make sense since the Harrier sold in Japan have 3.0lites and 2.4 liters. It should have a RX300.

People (consumers and Toyota sales in Japan) seem not to understand the difference between a RX300 and a RX330. (They think the Harrier is RX330)

As you have suggested, if someone in Japan decides to stick a Lexus badge on a Harrier sold in Japan, it should be a RX300 not RX330.