Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Soarer 91 Or Possibly 96/97 Model

Simon_G

My friend is looking to buy a Soarer and we went to see this one today:

http://www.berkshirebmw.co.uk/49.htm

I just need some advice as my mate is interested but something doesn't ring right with it to me. It's advertised as a 91 P reg - because supposedly it was imported in 96 and given a P plate. It doesn't come with the full leather despite the advert, the front foglights shape indicates to me it's later than 91, maybe a 96/97 (might be due to new bumper though?)

Is there anyway of telling what year it is? The model spec is supposed to be a 4litre GT-L. The car has the TEMS suspension, TV screen etc. Would also be interested to know if there's any clearcut way to check the TEMS suspension for faults.

Clean car for supposed year, so he's interested but thought I'd ask for some advice on here before he makes a decision.

Thanks,

Simon

Simon, someone was telling me the other day that on Supra's they have the date of manufacture on the rear seatbelts somewhere - maybe they do the same on the Soarer?

if its on a "p" plate then it is a 96/97

english plate system is based on the year of first registration/manufacture

wether it is imported or not

a car is not allowed to have a year registration younger than it is !

but can have an older one

are you sure they are fog lights as the early soarers had turning lights which only operate when the lights are on and the indicator switch is used the light on the indicating side will come on and shine side ways ,lighting up the corner you are turning into , not much good in the town but very usefull in the country , if they have been modified then they will throw light forward . i prefer the turning lights, but it a personal thing.

checking the tems is not easy but try putting the suspension into high with the engine running and listen for the compressor under the front wing to operate and watch for the sus to rise ,or when on a test run boot it in normal suspension setting and the back end will wriggle as the sus is soft , push the switch to sport this should harden up the sus and you should notice a difference in the handling also you will feel every uneveness in the road , well i do in mine it is rarely out of sport except for slow town driving.

hopes this helps, if you are unsure try to get someone who knows soarers to go with you , or walk away from it as suspension problems can be expensive unless you are lucky enough to get hold of some good second hand struts ,

incidently if it is a 91 don't pay any more than 3 grand for it unless its in excelent condition and low milage , has it been converted to mph etc

just looked at the ad it looks like a std gt with cloth seats , an after market rear spoiler , and modified front with bolt on fog lights , a gt-l like mine has leather seats not cloth and a full size touch screen which controls ac, radio, cd, etc and it is definately over priced for a vehical with what look like original wheels

if its on a "p" plate then it is a 96/97

english plate system is based on the year of first registration/manufacture

wether it is imported or not

a car is not allowed to have a year registration younger than it is !

but can have an older one

In theory that is right, but a lot of cars have been known to have had a declared manufactured date that is actually an imported date! Due to human stupidity! You only have to 'declare' manufactured dates on imports (at least thats how it was - probably changed now due to the stricter laws on importing), so the importer could declare anything they want really if the person actually doing the registration (DVLA) doesn't know any better!

That car is a strange one! It has '91 - '94 rear lights, so almost certainly a '91, but with new front and spoiler, but it has non-standard wheels aswell! They are wheels off the TT or UZZ32, not the UZZ31! So if you are very lucky, it could actually be UZZ32, just with cloth seats at the original owners request from the factory (or changed afterwards)!

On the dash around the gearstick, does it have a TEMS 'Sport' button? If so, then it is a UZZ31, if not, its a UZZ32 :D Or look under the bonnet and on top of the sus struts - does it say TEMS, or ACTIVE SUSENSION?

P.S.

If you are looking at spending that sort of money for a good Soarer, then I MAY be looking at selling for a good price!

Its a 1994 very rare active suspension UZZ32, in a very rare red, with very rare black interior, with a very rare FULL optioned spec! It is number 838 of 873, so one of the very latest UZZ32's to be built. Its in very nice condition with nearly full Lexus history from new (imported from new). A few minor bits to do, of which I will probably do before I sell (couple of tyres + brake pads, oil change ect.)

I just feel the pull of a Celica turbo drawing me in to buy one!! So obviously I need to sell first. It is very hard for me to sell, as I do love the car, I just fancy something a bit different! So I'm not desperate to sell, but probably would be tempted for a good price. Probably over £7k. I spent £1k on maintenance bits when I bought it in March - fluids/filters ect. , a lot of which I haven't got around to doing yet, so ALL the fluids are either changed or included ready to do! Plus UK satnav and DVD included (another nearly £1k spent on it!).

It is a very nice and very unique car!

Go on - make my mind up for me and help me buy a Celica!

Look at the VIN plate under the bonnet on the LH side as you stand in front of the car. The chassis number will give you the exact date of manufacture (to within a month).

£5995 for a '91 V8? Unless it's mint and low mileage I'd haggle (a lot).