Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Power Steering

aido

Nearly forgot to ask this and was just reminded by a post on another forum!

I had a new courtesy car (IS200SE) last week which was getting low on fuel, and after doing about 30 miles with the low fuel light on, the power steering suddenly tightened up massively, as though something had stopped working - is this normal behaviour when you're running this low on fuel?

I topped it up and after leaving the garage everything was back to normal - the steering was light again.

Now would this have been caused by lack of fuel or would it have been a fault on the car that was rectified by stopping and starting the car?

I panicked and thought it was mine that did this for a minute but just realised I've not had to fill it up since I got it back since I've not hardly used it :lol: Went to get some Optimax yesterday and it was 91p so I thought **** that and drove off!

TIA

About 10 Days if driven well, but if I play, maybe, only maybe 5 Days. :blink: do about 50 miles day travelling to and from work. Sometimes I play on the M1 ;) so if your on the M1 and see a green tank blur hacking past, I'm more than likley playing. :lol:

I always thought power steering was either a mechanical linkage or vacuum based engine driven mechanism. I wouldn't have thought a low fuel level was involved at all in the power steering unless the engine dies.

power steering is powered from the power steering pump via ports/valves in the steering rack. as long as the engine is running it shouldnt make a difference if the fuel is low or not, the other day i put in 67 litres, so it was very low and it only cost me £45 and thats for 98 ron :D

How come you fill up with ~70 litres. When my low fuel light on already for ~20 km i only can fill not more than 60 litres. I know that fuel tank is 70 litres, but where are my 10 litres lft if i can't fill it up.

i norm fill up when my light is on for about 60km, and it all depends what type of driving you are doing, highway, or in town, that will effect how much fuel u can get in after the light is on.

How come you fill up with ~70 litres. When my low fuel light on already for ~20 km i only can fill not more than 60 litres. I know that fuel tank is 70 litres, but where are my 10 litres lft if i can't fill it up.

The warning light comes on when you have ten litres left!

15 litres? :) whahahaha, that what's wrong. With full tank i only go ~400 km. It looks like fuel tank i not full at all:)) i always thought there is fuel only for ~50 km left when low fuel light is on.

have a read of this thread, some stuff I found out about how far you can get with the low fuel lamp on ;)

• 2 months later...

Sorry to revive an old thread.

Just as Aido did at the start of this thread, I have just filled up my car with Optimax and when I drove out of the petrol station the car steering was markedly lighter! The car was half-full before I filled it up.

Did we findout what this was last time?

Thanks

To be honest mate I never progressed this as it wasn't my car - mine has never done this, the only time mine stiffens up now is when the wheel's are scraping the inner lining, need to get that sorted out ASAP!!!

You didn't drink a can of Red Bull or Lucozade while you were in the garage did you :P

What about the mass of weight on the front drivers seat! :)

I asked the dealer about this and he said it was probably just abit of spillt petrol that I drove over that made me feel like I had light steering.

That'all do for me!