Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Those Of You Running Coilover & Sway Bar Combos...

aido

OK, I see over on IS300.net lately they aren't recommending really stiff sway bars for use with coilovers, as it tightens the car up too much so you lose handling performance etc and increase the risk of oversteer (or maybe it's returning the car to neutral values?) Can't remember but it was said it could cause detrimental effects...

They say the yellow TRDs which some of us have are pretty much at the limit to be used in conjunction with coilovers, so I thought I'd ask this question, what combos of coilover & sways (antiroll bars) are you guys using, and if you're using adjustable sways what setting have you got them on, ie soft, middle, hard etc....

I'm running the TRD Yellow Race spec sways and Zee's TTE Coilovers, and to me the car seems fantastic handling wise so I'm not sure what the guys over there mean...

I'm also interested in doing one of those days where you spend a few hours in a skid pad and learn how to control understeer and oversteer, that's kind of linked to this, any of you guys done anything like that? I just need to lose a few stone before they'll let me near it!!!!

TIA

Results so far:

Aido: TTE Coilovers, TRD Race Sways (Hard)

Dave Ellen: Tein Flex Coilovers, TTE Sways (Medium)

Scorpion: Tein SS Coilovers, TTE Sways (Medium)

Fargo: Apexi Type V N1 Coilovers, TTE Sways (Hard)

Tony Goose: TTE Coilovers, TTE Sways (Medium)

Bazza: Tein Coilovers, TRD Race Sways (Hard)

Maz: Tein Coilovers, TTE Sways (Unknown)

Dark_IS200: HKS Hiper Coilovers, HKS Sways (Hard)

SteveAudioX: Tein NA Coilovers, TTE Sways (Hard)

Mat C: White Car: HKS Hiper Coilovers, TRD Race Sways (Hard)

Mat C: Black Car: TTE Coilovers, TTE Sways (Hard)

Duncan: TTE Coilovers, TTE Sways (Hard)

Basically I think they tighten up both ends of the suspension so there is less flex, which results in less body roll being felt in the car, you really notice this when going round hard corners, but it's also noticable with any steering you do, you'll have minimised roll with the coilovers but the sway's just increase this reduction (does that make sense?!). I think because there's less roll the back end is more likely to jump out (oversteer I think) as the chassis can't absorb as much any more since the sways keep things under control.

Mat C has the best explanation of all things suspension related, it's all a bit confusing for me!

apexi type v N1's

TTE hard..

front top strut brace

one point though aido,, if TTE supply both antiroll bars and c/o's i would have thought they had been fully tested as a combination and so do not affect the car as the .Net'ers are saying..

They're on about bars which are even stiffer than the TRD Yellows (which I think are stiffer than the TTEs even on the hardest setting?!)

I just saw one of the comments saying that the TRD Yellows were about as hard as you should get with coilovers and it made me think!

Basically I think they tighten up both ends of the suspension so there is less flex, which results in less body roll being felt in the car, you really notice this when going round hard corners, but it's also noticable with any steering you do, you'll have minimised roll with the coilovers but the sway's just increase this reduction (does that make sense?!). I think because there's less roll the back end is more likely to jump out (oversteer I think) as the chassis can't absorb as much any more since the sways keep things under control.

Mat C has the best explanation of all things suspension related, it's all a bit confusing for me!

Makes perfect sense. I would do it, but not if it will comprimise ride quality. Loving mine at the mo B)

Doesn't affect ride quality at all mate, just reduces the roll you get around corners, there's a corner near me which you can only normally take at 15-20 (U bend) but with the coilovers and sways you can chuck her round and be accellerating while you're at it (only in the dry though!!!)

How an Anti-Roll Bar Works

Put simply, an anti-roll bar is a U-shaped metal bar that links both wheels on the same axle to the chassis. Essentially, the ends of the bar are connected to the suspension while the center of the bar is connected to the body of the car.

In order for body roll to occur, the suspension on the outside edge of the car must compress while the suspension on the inside edge simultaneously extends. However, since the anti-roll bar is attached to both wheels, such movement is only possible if the metal bar is allowed to twist. (One side of the bar must twist upward while the other twists downward.) So the bar's torsional stiffness-or resistance to twist-determines its ability to reduce body roll. Less twisting of the bar results in less movement into jounce and rebound by the opposite ends of the suspension-which results in less body roll.

I've got to admit I'm quite surprised at this so far, I'd just taken it for granted that all of you lot with the TTE bars had stuck them onto the hardest setting!

We'll have to try a comparison next time I see you all :)

Tein coilovers NA type 16 damping settings setting on 7 from softest

TTE anti roll bars Stiff settings on rears (only available adjustments on rears)

Cusco upper front strut brace..

Car handles great ...If tracked correctly, thought I'd stress that point.