Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Further to postings earlier this month, we are collecting our new SE-L from the dealer at 11.30am on Saturday 16th Oct (we're counting down the minutes!). Really looking forward to it - saw one in the same colours on the road this week - looked magnificent! Great service from the dealer so far - ordered the vehicle on 28th Sept, dealer a bit dubious about getting it to them and prepared in time for our requested date of 22nd Oct (wanted it then because we have a weeks hols coming up) - but have managed to get it a week early! (and it's 05 spec, BT, Voice etc.). Only glitch with dealer so far is that they told my wife yesterday that we'd paid for it already (we haven't) - suppose we'll have to confess sometime!

Anyway, the point of this post was to enquire of others experiences running in a RX300. My attitude for the first couple of thousand miles is don't labour the engine too much (not thrash it either) and don't go too heavy on the brakes etc. whilst everything 'beds in'. Is a Lexus any different? Can we expect any driving characteristics to change - MPG, peformance and so on. Also, any common 'problems' requiring return to dealer?

Glad to hear of anyones experiences.

running in should be the usual take it easy for the first 1,200 miles, keep below 4,000 rpm and don't tow for the first 500 miles.

mpg and performance should improve as everything wears in.

No common problems although dealers sometimes forget to initialise the sunroof properly

Hi Andy

I was told for the first 1000-1200 miles to keep the revs below 4K and vary the speed on motorways i.e don't just stick at 70/80 for mile after mile to vary the load on the engine. Although my car has only done 1700 miles it's fuel consumption has already improved a little.

No problems so far.

Hope you enjoy your new car. What did you decide about the ICE in the end ?

Thanks Easylife

Yes, went for ICE in the end - liked the idea of dealer having to sort out any problems rather than potential conflicts of one supplier blaming the other.

The discount from the dealer meant that I only payed £500 more than the list of a non-ICE SE-L. I'm pretty happy with that (until someone tells me they got a much better deal!).

Andy,

When you get round to checking out the ICE, I'd be interested to know whether you get any interference through the headphones when the engine is running (see 'Noisy Ice' posts earlier in forum). I did and was told by the dealer that the fix was to turn up the volume to MAX on the remote control then regulate the sound using the volume wheel on the headphones. Just curious to know whether its characteristic or not.

Have plenty of AAA batteries in the house because its hard to remember to switch off the headphones and they go flat really quickly! :whistling:

Also my dealer didn't tell me there was a kick cover on the DVD player (which is well needed) I found this by accident. The player is vulnarable so you need the plate in place when its not being used. Might sound obvious but like I said I didn't know it was there.

Bet Saturday can't come soon enough for you ;)

Pete

Thanks Pete - yes it would be nice to skip Friday altogether!

I know you're right about the headphone batteries - had the same problem with a demountable DVD driving round France this year. At least that system had speakers in the screens as a last resort. I assume the Lexus system only plays through headphones?

Yes - I saw your previous posts so I'll certainly be looking out for interference. Gut reaction would be to say "fix it Mr Lexus or give me a refund"! - the 'solution' doesn't sound much of a solution - but then my tech knowledge is pretty slim.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Andy

Further to postings earlier this month, we are collecting our new SE-L from the dealer at 11.30am on Saturday 16th Oct (we're counting down the minutes!). Really looking forward to it -

You're counting down the minutes, we're still counting the months! Got to wait till December 18th as this is the earliest we can afford it as we're still saving. Seem to be seeing more and more RX300's on the road now which is not making it any easier. :(

Thanks for the congrats. Collected it on Saturday - and it's superb! Just to answer a couple of queries:

Yes Pete, I know it's sad posting at 8.07am - although it wasn't that bad - the clock is an hour behind on this site (suppose it'll be correct at the end of the month!)

Yes Pete (again), we have the same prob with the DVD! The 'solution' nearly eliminates the problem - but not enough for me to say I'm satisfied. Also have a problem with some very faint horizontal lines on ONE screen when in zoom mode (other screen is fine). Dealer collects car tomorrow. If they can't make it 'perfect' (shouldn't it be for £2600?) then I'll talk to them about taking it out and investigate having something else installed. I'm sure that for £2600 there must be some seriously good aftermarket installations available - previous posts from guys who clearly know more than me would indicate so! I also agree with your opinion regarding inaccessability - does the unit have to be mounted so far under the seat? And switching itself off when you start the engine really pleases the kids! Pete, you mentioned about LED's in the roof (I think) regarding the use of the DVD. We don't have any. What's that all about?

Hi CMJJ, don't mind you being nosey - I got just over £2k off list, but as I mentioned in a previous post, I wonder if this is because of the DVD. I'm sure that, even though the quality of the kit appears good (if not the installation) there must be a big margin in it.

Sorry Andy, I imagine that kind of takes the shine of things a bit. I wrote to Lexus about the ICE but have not yet received a reply. I expect they will resolve the stripes on the screen but as for the other issues - somehow I doubt it. The unit switching off after the engine is started is really hacking me off now, its crazy that Lexus find this acceptable.

The LED's in the roof are actually the transmitter for the Headphones I think. The unit (about the size of a small mobile phone) sits on the roof just above the middle rear seat. Bit distracting at night as you can see a row of little red lights in the rear view mirror.

I'm not happy with the solution given by Lexus, if the unit was half the price I could probably live with it but as you say for £2,600 it should be perfect..

Let me know how you get on.

Pete

Hi Andy, how's the new sat nav system? Have you integrated with your phone? And what about the voice commands? Guess there's a 5000 page manual to read so you probably haven't had a chance to play yet.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it. Sorry to hear about the DVD problem though. I think you've got the right attitude to it though, think I'd be exaxctly the same.

br

D