Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rearscreen Wipers: Why Hatchbacks And Not Saloons?

mcwatson

One thing I've always wondered but thought there must be such an obvious answer, I'd look stupid for asking but why do hatchbacks have rear screen wipers and saloons don't?

Some saloon rear windows have just as much as a slope as hatchbacks so I'm guessing its not because hatchbacks 'catch' more of the rainfall than saloons. Driving in this morning in the lashing down rain made me wish my IS had one as the window had so much water on it, it made seeing the cars behind a problem especially with all the headlights being distorted.

Does anyone know? (And no laughing at me for asking a daft question!) :huh:

good question, somthing i've wondered too.

my orion ghia was a saloon with a rear washer and i have to say there has been the odd time i could've done with a rear wiper on the lex, esepcially in the winter.

good question, somthing i've wondered too.

my orion ghia was a saloon with a rear washer and i have to say there has been the odd time i could've done with a rear wiper on the lex, esepcially in the winter.

I think the Orion was the first saloon to have a rear wiper and very few cars since have had one.

Normally the rear window finishes and the boot lid starts so there is no room to mount a wiper.

I don't find I need one when driving although I do have to wipe the window every morning at this time of year before I set off so a wiper would be nice.

Until recently most hatchbacks had no boot to talk of and the windowline used to continue down the back with little or no protrusion.

As a result the muck used to climb up the back due to the aerodynamics.

I can remember having an old Mini (not a hatchback I know) and after a good run the rear window was totally obliterated.

I had a Maestro once (yes I know) that did the same but they fitted a wiper to that.

Like Colin says, I think it's to do with the "packaging". There's nowhere to put the motor/mechanism and get the spindle through the body.

Some cars do have them though - JDM Imprezas for example have a rear-wiper mounted through the glass.

I once owned a '92 Rover 220 Coupé and that had a rear wiper that wiped constant for eight seconds and then went intermittent and my '89 300ZX (Z31) also had a rear wiper, but this one was just constant.

I think they're invaluable as I like to have the best vision possible out of my windows, particularly when it's raining, even just one wipe every now and then helps.

But they were not saloon cars though ;)

Their rear windows were more saloon style than hatchback though. :whistling: :winky:

I must admit I missed my rear wiper after having it on the last two cars, but I've got used to it now though.

To be honest I had a Megane cabrio (gay I know) before the Lexus, and the back window on that was always that crapped up I got used to driving on the side mirrors..

I'm still getting used to having a rear view mirror one year later!

The RainX does help, a lot on the back window. If you're stuck to town driving though you don't get chance to shake the water loose which is a pain, but you get used to it!