Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Need Some Help With Gear Changing And Rpm

Poncho

Hi,

I have a manual IS200SE, since day 1, I always thought it was very sluggish but decided to live with it due to budgetary concerns, opting instead to use Optimax petrol to bump up the power. Recently, however, I was given an IS200SE automatic as a courtesy car by my dealer, and WOW! The power was really impressive and responsive, it wanted to fly everywhere, it even had ECU boost! :ph34r:

So, I have been experimenting with my manul IS200SE to determine when the best time is to change gears. This is what I have come up on half a tank of petrol:

Gear 1 - 3500rpm

Gear 2 - 3500rpm

Gear 3 - 3500rpm

Gear 4 - 3500rpm

Gear 5 - 4000rpm

Gear 6 - over 80mph

It now drives a little smoother but nothing like the automatic I drove, am I making best use of the gear ratios? Thanks. :)

Hi,

I have a manual IS200SE, since day 1, I always thought it was very sluggish but decided to live with it due to budgetary concerns, opting instead to use Optimax petrol to bump up the power. Recently, however, I was given an IS200SE automatic as a courtesy car by my dealer, and WOW! The power was really impressive and responsive, it wanted to fly everywhere, it even had ECU boost! :ph34r:

So, I have been experimenting with my manul IS200SE to determine when the best time is to change gears. This is what I have come up on half a tank of petrol:

Gear 1 - 3500rpm

Gear 2 - 3500rpm

Gear 3 - 3500rpm

Gear 4 - 3500rpm

Gear 5 - 4000rpm

Gear 6 - over 80mph

It now drives a little smoother but nothing like the automatic I drove, am I making best use of the gear ratios? Thanks. :)

i guess you havent found the rev limiter yet

best bet is to find it

hit it a few times

then learn to change gear just before it comes in

3500 rpm thats just ticking over

i would have thought the optimum would be around 5,000 rpm?

For every gear? :blink:

When I try to increase the RPM on my car, it sounds like it is really straining noise wise, but the automatic was achieving superb power output at around 3000rpm, so Im assuming that the each gear ratio has an optimal RPM because if you pick on on a slightly lower RPM, the car shunts forward meaning that the next gear has already provided extra kick, but then it takes a really, really long time to accelerate.. B)

The autos change down very quickly into a lower gear to make use of what little torque the 200 has.

If you want the IS to be fast you need to keep the revs above 4,000 so change at over 5,000.

I'll give this a try if my engine can hope with these high RPMs for a long period :D

The redline is set at 6500 and it gets there easy, in my father's 1.8 Primera, he can easily do 80mph at 3000rpm but on my IS200Se - I need to be around 4500RPM using Optimax and with the wind in my direction? Hmm.. :crying:

the auto dose not have 6 speed so will feel faster ;)

Ahh, that would make sense, my old Avensis used to feel quite nippy when changing gears, and I thought this 6 gear business would be the biz but I guess not. Shame for 20K worth of kit :blush:

The IS likes to be pushed mate, the redline is 6250 though!!

Lots of fun when driven hard, I think there was an old thread ages ago that told you what revs you should change at to get optimum performance, it was something like 5500 in first then aroun the 6200 mark in other gears, if you do a quick change the engine revs will be matched perfectly for the next gear so she'll pull nicely.

Have you tried resetting your ECU so you can start with a clean slate? My car occasionally starts running crap and an ECU reset sorts this out immediately, it's in the Knowledge Base if you want to give it a go, basically you pull the EFI and ECTS fuses for a couple of minutes and then drive off - hard :)

PS, I don't normally go into 6th until 110mph :P

The IS likes to be pushed mate, the redline is 6250 though!!

Lots of fun when driven hard, I think there was an old thread ages ago that told you what revs you should change at to get optimum performance, it was something like 5500 in first then aroun the 6200 mark in other gears, if you do a quick change the engine revs will be matched perfectly for the next gear so she'll pull nicely.

Have you tried resetting your ECU so you can start with a clean slate? My car occasionally starts running crap and an ECU reset sorts this out immediately, it's in the Knowledge Base if you want to give it a go, basically you pull the EFI and ECTS fuses for a couple of minutes and then drive off - hard :)

Good thinking, I'll give this a try too after my first experiment :)

yeah, you need to rev it if you want to go quickly... aim to change at 6k if your in a hurry - and i find if you snatch the gear and only pull back 1/2 way on the throttle, as you engage the next gear, it should be at 4,500-5,000 revs, right in the power band ;)

not that i drive like that you understand...

I see you guys enjoy high RPM:) I would like to do that too, but i have 6 penalty points of 10, and as you all know, in the city doing high revs is very dangerous, because at the 2nd gear You already go over legal speed limit:) Once police stoped me when i was 55 km over legal speed, in the city, sad:) i was enjoying it

• 3 weeks later...