Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Irittating Gimps...

gears

I feel I must rant. Sunday I had to take my missus back home pretty quickly as she'd been called out (she is a stewardess and HAS to be ready and at the airport on time). Even though I wasn't breaking the speed limit (much) ;) I soon had an a**e hole up my backside in one of those Seat Leon Cupra Turbo thingies - big yellow wotsit - y'know the type. I must admit, I was looking at one myself before I got the Lexus IS200. Anyhoo... I figured that he'd easily keep up with me (I was going up a steep hill, dual carriageway at the time) 'cus those things have got at least 180bhp on the 1.8 Petrol Turbo engine.

But no.. It fell back like a dogs ear. I wasn't even "caning" mine, I must've been in the middle of third gear doing about erm.. oh.. I forget, yet he had his Chav-tastic burberry cap on and his mate was waving around like a maniac... Yet it dropped back.. Huh? I've had little Saxo's keep up with me before ?!

Next thing, was when she'd gone to work - by uncle came round in his Rover 75.. woooah.. no, sorry.. his new ahem.. MG ZT. I didn't check what model number it was (it looks like a Rover 75 with different alloys to me, that's all) - but he said it was a 2.5 Litre and "drunk petrol, but it's great" .. ermm.. not exactly something I'd brag about, but hey. Anyways, I had to go to his house and help him with his PC and of course he nailed it down the M6, but I kept with him fairly easily. Again, I wasn't even pushing. However, looking at some specs on (what I think) he's got, it's a V6 with around 190bhp... but he wasn't going anywhere. Is it just 'cus it's a fat heavy Rover ?

This makes me think.. what's going on here ? I've got a standard 153bhp Lex.. is it just them being cr*p drivers or is it respect for the Lex? ;)

:driving:

Doesn't sound like the Cupra was trying, or he was in the wrong gear - in theory that should have killed you!! The IS200 is good on the motorway due to the torque and the fact that it performs best up at those speeds due to hitting ~4000rpm and above, but that Cupra should have done you if he was trying hard? The Cupra would ***** allover my car as well I'd have thought!

Don't know about that Rover, not sure how they run?

I don't think the Rover performance wise is much cop but the Cupra could have wiped the floor with you! I took one for a test drive before looking at my first Lex and performance wise it put a smile on my face (shame the rest wasn't up to much!). The £4k insurance quote put me off, then I discovered Lexus!!!

Perhaps the guy realised he was driving too aggressively and backed off? Always hope there are some sensible drivers out there!!

The MG ZT 190 is quite a quick motor (0 - 60 in under 8s) but it needs to be thrashed to get the best out of it, all the power is above 4000rpm and below that it tends to bog down. I had one for a while and you really needed to drive it like a hot hatch to make good progress, which is the opposite of what most people do in a large(ish) saloon! Saying that, it's chassis was fantastic... probably the only bit they ever got sorted properly!! Just don't get me started on what wasn't right with the damn thing!! :angry:

Just don't get me started on what wasn't right with the damn thing!!  :angry:

and probably still not right ;)

Too true! That car (or should I say static MGR display!) has got years of 'project' work left to be done under warranty! :D

Speaking of BHP and the Lex performance I know its not the quickest in the world but I was absolutely disgusted when I was left for dead the other day by a Volvo jeep :sick::sick::sick: .................

Then I looked into what engines they have in the XC90................ the basic diesel unit has 163bhp (i think it was a diesel that ****** all over me) but they have a 2.5 twin turbo petrol with 272bhp !!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o

I've decided (insurance permitting) I have to get a supercharger !!!!!!!!! :driving:

the "CUPRA" was probably the oldest trick in the book, but a standard 1.4 leon, bolt on the kit and wheels from the cupra (availiable in any good shop!) and there ya go, all the show and no go.

how many old fiesta XR2i's were butchered in the scrap yards for their body work!!!!