Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hid Bulbs .....

Hi people,

I want to get some HID looking bulbs for my IS200 SE.

I always see these ones on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...7928335043&rd=1

Has anyone actually bought these, and tried them ? - are they any good.

How much 'K' would I need for the real HID / XNENON look - I want the lights to be really nice and white/bluiesh so that the roads are nice and bright, but there is soo many different bulbs out there i'm baffled.

I don't want to but a HID conversion kit at the mo - got other priorites as per usual, any help would be appreciated.

BTW : I'm going to be at Chartwell on Sunday, so Prolex-UK - or anyone else who might have some bulbs for sale ... that will give me that real HID effect .... I'll be more than happy to buy them !

Regards,

Think you have to remember as well with the blue tinted bulbs is that they tend to throw less light onto the road due to the tint - your car will look better to passers by but you'll be able to see less than you can now....

To be honest I would recommend you hang fire, save the cash, and put it towards some HIDs when you've got enough, as some of the higher quality tinted bulbs will cost you 40 - 50 quid. Factor in replacements and you see where I'm going!

Think you have to remember as well with the blue tinted bulbs is that they tend to throw less light onto the road due to the tint - your car will look better to passers by but you'll be able to see less than you can now....

To be honest I would recommend you hang fire, save the cash, and put it towards some HIDs when you've got enough, as some of the higher quality tinted bulbs will cost you 40 - 50 quid. Factor in replacements and you see where I'm going!

Aido, I see what you mean mate ... guess I'll just have to save some and get the real HID conversion kit from Prolex-UK when I'm ready to get some then !

Thanks anyways guys !

Tell you what you could do mate, a couple of the guys on here got the one's off eBay for about a tenner and they were happy with them, might be worth getting some of them for now and then upgrading to the HIDs longer term?

Can't remember the exact type they were though, I'll have a look mate.

Not really worth spending a lot on these bulbs if you're going to upgrade...

Here we go:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ssPageName=WDVW

50p a pair!

Very cheap and they may only last a few months, so buy two sets :P

Should tide you over nicely mate :)

As for the light rating, I thought the stock 300 HIDs were rated at that? I thought halogens came in around the 2000k - 3000k mark?

One thing to be careful of with the ratings mate, is that the higher the rating, the more blue / purple if that makes any sense?

I read something where it said the lightwave starts becoming less efficient with 5300k bulbs so they're not putting as much light onto the road, but the colour is different.

I think 4300 are about the best in terms of light onto the road, 6300 just look the danglies but not as good as 4300, and everything over that is starting to get more for show use, ie purple lights etc.

I just need someone to come along who knows what they're talking about as 'm probably spouting ******* again :P

The 6300k HIDs will put a lot more light out than the standard halogens, but I'm going to try and get some stupidly high rated bulbs for when it's show time ;)

Oh yeah, before I forget, you might want to order a pair of 9005 bulbs and some 9006 bulbs for the main and dipped beams?

Right ... that was going to be my next subject ... how many bulbs will I actually need ?

I only don't use the side light / dipped beam ... always use the full beam as my lights are on (auto) ... so will I need the others ?

Cheers .....

I'm confused now - isn't full beam the high beam?

I always get muddled up, but to replace the normal nightlights (dipped?) and the high beams, you need one set of 9005 bulbs and one set of 9006 bulbs.

The little poxy one's are the wedge lights but I'm still on my originals of those, you don't really need to touch them unless you want a whiter light then too, but if you're on auto you won't see these anyway.

Ok, I'm always baffling my self too ......

I'm not going to use the first setting on the light switch .... but the second .... (that's what I meant by full beam)

I don't mean the ones ... when you pull the light stalk backwards towards you, and the "blue" icon appears on the dash!

Does that make sense ?

Nice one that makes sense to me :)

You have to tell me in layman's terms or I get confused mate :P

Right, I've had a look at an old thread and it says the following

High beam = 9006

Low beam = 9005

So you just need the 9005 bulbs.

When you pull the stalk back to activate high beam that's your 9006 bulbs.

I replaced both to be honest.

Shouldn't do mate, only issues I can think of would be if you obtained high watt bulbs, think the standard bulbs are 55w or there abouts and some replacements suck 110w through the wiring harnesses, but just normal blue bulbs at the same watt are the same.

If you're worried just change the bulbs back before you ever take the car to Lexus.

So, if the stock bulbs are only like 4600K - then sureley the 6000K ones are going to be brighter ? or does the blueish tint on these lights restrict the light still ?

Cheers.

The figures you are quoting have nothing to do with brightness it is the colour of the light.

Halogen bulbs produce a yellow light and is around 3000K. OEM HIDs are 4300K and sunlight is about 5200K. bulbs over 5000K will look blue.

To make a halogen bulb look blue they place a blue filter over the glass. This allows any blue light produced by the bulb to shine through. The trouble is halogen bulbs produce little blue light, it is mainly yellow light and that is all absorbed by the blue filter, and therefore produce less light than standard unfiltered halogen bulbs.

Look alright, they don't mention wattage but says they are not pulling any extra power so should be okay.

Not sure about that pic though, that looks like they're comparing normal bulbs to real HID lights - to be honest mate I'dhave expected these to chuck a similar amount of light out, just whiter...

Look alright, they don't mention wattage but says they are not pulling any extra power so should be okay.

Not sure about that pic though, that looks like they're comparing normal bulbs to real HID lights - to be honest mate I'dhave expected these to chuck a similar amount of light out, just whiter...

errr ..... right I'm going to just err ... kick my head lamps I think now.

Aido, are you saying that basically the advert on that light makes the bulbs look too good ? - and that they won't actually be that good ?

Or am I just tottaly baffled, and still half asleep ?

Dunno Tony, I just copied it off an old thread? Anyone got the info for Scarface because I'm not sure now. TIA

If you buy both you can't get it wrong anyway :lol:

@ Scarface, Personally I'd have said the picture was bull as if the lights are rated at the same wattage as stock and have the blue coating then as Colin says they won't be quite as bright as the normal bulbs, it's what I was trying to get at in my first reply. I think that pic is showing halogens vs real HID bulbs, not these imitation bulbs. You'll get the colour of HID, you just won't get the overall brightness, that's why the full HID kits are better longer term.