Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have a GS300 with 62K miles, 96P reg, mostly main dealer service. A local garage has an LS400 with 92K miles, 95N reg, full dealer service history, Metallic champagne, £5990. I have two questions - is it worth moving up to LS? If the answer is yes, what is the most that I should pay him to make the swap? Any thoughts from my knowledgeable co-members would be gratefully received.

:P THAT colour! He should be paying YOU!

.You ,if you were patient, could find a lower mileage LS 400 for not much more. As for....'should you' change?

YES! Smoother, quiet, potent....anonymous, bland, but supreme quality.

All depends on whether you'll take to the squarer look after the curves of the GS. :driving:

Thanks for the solid advice, guys. I love my GS but I was just intrigued about whether the LS experience was so much better that I should switch to an older LS at a cost of a few hundred quid. On reflection, I think maybe I should just keep on enjoying my GS. Why do I love the GS Mk 1? It looks ageless - it does not look out of place in 2004 even though it started life in 1993, I love the curves, I'm pretty impressed by the mpg, a 3 litre engine is all I need and I love the power mode for exchanging pleasantries with boy racers. Lastly, as Colin said, it is also cheaper to run than its big brother. I'll finish philosophically by offering a few words from Cheryl Crow - sorry if this sounds cheezy - "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got". Enjoy.

• 1 month later...

I am having the same dilema now. I had a LS 400 1994 a few years back and had to sell it as I went abroad for my new job. I am back now and planning to buy a Lexus. Because of my current situation my wife would also have to drive my car usually and she feels a LS400 is too big and would prefer a GS300. The GS 300 I test drove(used car) was not very smooth. The LS 400 was the best car I ever had and that includes a BMW 730. I would appreciate if you could let me know what your decision was? Was it the LS400 or the GS300 and the technical reason if there was any?

Thank you.

I have a GS300 with 62K miles, 96P reg, mostly main dealer service. A local garage has an LS400 with 92K miles, 95N reg, full dealer service history, Metallic champagne, £5990. I have two questions - is it worth moving up to LS? If the answer is yes, what is the most that I should pay him to make the swap? Any thoughts from my knowledgeable co-members would be gratefully received.

Hi Guys

I am staying with my Mk1 GS300. I love the shape. I sincerely believe that it is a design classic. It goes fast enough for me. It is nearly as long as the LS400 but does not seem to drive like it is. I've just spent over £700 getting it through the big 63k miles service, plus front ball joint replacements, but that is it in terms of major outgoings for some while. Purely on the 'what's it worth?' front, there are some really cheap LS400s around Manchester right now ie decent sounding Mk3s for £5000-6000. But I reckon that my GS300 will hold its value better. It is a first generation, ground-breaking car with Italian styling that still looks good 11 years after its launch! I figure that the Mk4 LS400 is a nice car but I can't afford it - yet. In three or four years time, maybe. For now, I'm a very contented GS300 man.

• 1 year later...

Interesting thread. I had a Mk2 GS300. Loved it. BOught an Audi TT. after six months I sold the Lexus. 10 months later, what do you know, I'm buying an LS400. I don't think other cars compare. I know they are not exciting. but I'm past excitement. I know they are not chick pullers, but I'm past that too. I know they are reliable, refined and robust. That will do for my dollars.

Don't think you'll ever see me part with my hard earned for a German car again. Don't think there is a better value brand than Lexus for quality executive cars.

Hope my clients don't think I've been promoted though...