Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Illegal Factory Fitted Windows

Matthew_McNally

If hes trying to take a reading from the top (across the sunvisor) where its tinted,the tinting is applied in between the glass so its impossible to take it out.

As above Pete - He measured the front window here, and that gave ~80%.

top right hand corner of drivers side front gave 38%

If we look at this image again

43600018_G.sized.jpg

he measured the front just at the bottom where the blue strip graduates out.

He measured the drivers side front, in the top left hand corner (the right angle joint at the top of the door), and got ~38%

I bet if you ordered a new screen it would be exactly the same,so that would make most modern cars illegal then as most have the sun visor incorporated in the w/screen.

probably would mate - but its not the windscreen that is the issue, its the front side windows. :blush:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds complete :tsktsk:

I need to look at my windows tomorrow in the light but I don't think they are dark at all.

Are you sure the windows are 100% standard Matt? I can see they have Lexus on the glass but the pictures you have posted don't really show much difference between the front and rear. Where are the security and deadlocking stickers on the window - removed to add tints?

This 75% rule - was that law in 2001 when the car was registered? If not then how can you be expected to finance a change on your vehicle to keep with current law?

Did he say why he stopped you? Maybe he didn't like the plate then thought he'd upset you when he saw the windows ........ and forgot the plate.

He asked if he knew why he had stopped me (in case I admitted to the body in the boot or something :yawn: ).

I said "No".

He said that he thought my windows were too dark and he wanted to measure them.

Have you looked at the Lexus website to see what it says about the windows for the GS430? "Water-repellent glass on front door windows " maybe that upsets his meter? It doesm't seem to mention tints though  :whistling:

Very good point Steve - anyone know anything more about this?

Funny thing is - Lexus lists this as a safety feature! :lol:

The site also says "Water-repellent glass has been adopted for the front door windows to improve vision in the rain."

Sounds complete  :tsktsk:

I need to look at my windows tomorrow in the light but I don't think they are dark at all.

would appreciate it if you could mate - get some pics if you can?

Are you sure the windows are 100% standard Matt? I can see they have Lexus on the glass but the pictures you have posted don't really show much difference between the front and rear. Where are the security and deadlocking stickers on the window - removed to add tints?

just been and taken some pics - its dark outside, so this is the best I can do.

this one shows the difference - rears are actually darker than the front by a bit more than these (crappy, blurry pictures) show

43600009_G.sized.jpg

43600007_G.sized.jpg

from what I can see, there are no security or deadlocking stickers - only the Lexus etching.

where should the stickers be?

This 75% rule - was that law in 2001 when the car was registered? If not then how can you be expected to finance a change on your vehicle to keep with current law?

has been the law since '86 apparently.

Colin just becoz the stickers aren't on the windows doesn't mean they have been removed for tinting

Did I suggest the only reason for removing the stickers would be to add tints? It could be the reason.

Matt, the stickers are right next to the Lexus etching.

Might be worth tomorrow taking a picture from inside the car with the window half open. That way we can see the difference the glass makes - I'll try and do the same.

Might be worth tomorrow taking a picture from inside the car with the window half open. That way we can see the difference the glass makes - I'll try and do the same.

nice idea Col - will do.

will be righteously ****** if its turns out they are tinted to an illegal level - the dealer did not mention it at all, and I have not declared it to the insurance company

Did I suggest the only reason for removing the stickers would be to add tints? It could be the reason.

It could also be the previous owner didn't like them either.

I didn't suggest you said it.....fact is you did its in quote!!!.there are many reasons why they are not there. :)

I didn't suggest you said it.....fact is you did its in quote!!!.there are many reasons why they are not there. :)

:offtopic: I didn't state or say anything, I asked a question.

In a suggestive way......but anyhow how would the new owner know.

WHATEVER!!!!!.....Lets move on.

The fact is the cops aren't going to prosecute,didn't the tinting law come out 2003 so either way it dont apply.

Roll the window down you can tell if its tinted or not,yes Colin even if its been tinted to the top. :) coz i know your going to say "not if its tinted all the way"

Am i being presumptuious here.....sorry!!!

Some links ....

Pentagon and regulations

HMSO regs.

Amendment of regulation 32 (windscreens and other windows)

3. After regulation 32(11), there shall be inserted the following paragraph -

" (11A) Paragraphs (10) and (11) have effect in relation to any tint, film or other substance or material applied to a windscreen or window as they have effect in relation to the windscreen or window itself."

Interesting that .... seems to only apply to a material applied .... not the glass itself.

Also

Stopping retailers

Any retailer displaying vehicles with

over-tinted windows for sale is committing

a number of offences. Neil Cumming,

Roadworthiness Project Manager for VOSA,

points out, ‘Section 77 of the Road Traffic

Act 1988, as amended, makes it an offence

for any person to supply or offer for sale a

motor vehicle in an unroadworthy condition.’

Neil went on to explain, ‘Section 76 makes it

an offence for any person to fit, or cause or

permit to be fitted, a vehicle part which

would, by reason of the fitting of that

part, constitute a contravention of any

construction and use requirements.’ So some

retailers and tinting companies could find

themselves with a prosecution on their hands.

from VOSA - Vehicle and Operator Services agency

You should ring the police area control room and ask if they have a quality management team who you could speak to. Then ask if the officer should test the area of glass the driver look through while seated in a driving position, rather than an area which looks at the sky?

If they cant give you a satisfactory answer ( dont accept any guesses) take it to court.

Most police areas now have a team called FQM who check the legallity of what their officers have done in every event which may lead to prosecution. They have to do this just in case there is a court case. They also have a CPS rep on site to talk to. You may be surprised that their device may not take into account the ability of the glass to filter UV but still allow the eye to have a clear vision. So Lexus could say the glass is reactive to light.

So as you can see a smart ***** lawyer with Lexus GB could blow that case clean out the water. You defending yourself could blow it out on a technicallity but asking these questions in court and raising the point that Lexus GB surely wouldnt break the law

So what about the GS300 they (the cops) use as a patrol car on the M4.?maybe you could use that as an arguement.

Emergency vehicles are given exemptions to certain acts of parliment.

Tinted windows being one .......

Matt , I've read like all of the posts since I left yesterday .... so much on here now, what's the latest ? - and what are you going to do about it ?

Regards,

Ive just supplied a "Sunstrip" for want of a better word. It was a thick Red Vinyl, 10" across from top to bottom, the full width of the screen, for a road-going BTCC lookalike. It passed the MOT OK because the field of view was not inhibited by the sunstrip at the top.

I think this is an open and shut case. The bobby did not test in the normal field of view, and without the sunstrip in place, on a bright and sunny day, you would use the normal sun visor, which cuts 100% from your field of view if it is in use.

The tint in the window is there for a reason - SAFETY.

Let it go to court mate. I would.

Here are the pics of my side windows. Look a little darker in real life but I don't think they are near the legal limit.

thanks Col - never got a chance to do this yesterday.

Have just been out and done the same

43600061_G.sized.jpg

43600062_G.sized.jpg

I wouldn't say yours look near any legal limits - nor do mine (although I am obviously biased :blush: ).

Matt , I've read like all of the posts since I left yesterday .... so much on here now, what's the latest ? - and what are you going to do about it ?

I have spoked to the dealer today.

Lexus Nottingahm sourced the car from Lexus GB.

They have spoken to Lexus GB, and they are both certain that the car has not been modified in any form.

The RAC Inspection conducted before I bought the car would also have revealed any modifications apparently, and it did not show any tints (or any other mods).

So - I am very confident that I am using standard Lexus windows, and no tints are present.

I am trying right now to get an independent measurement of the level of light allowed through the windows.

My father has friends who run a garage, but they do not own tint measuring equipment, nor do they know anyone who does - so drawn a bit of a blank on that front so far.

Ive just supplied a "Sunstrip" for want of a better word. It was a thick Red Vinyl, 10" across from top to bottom, the full width of the screen, for a road-going BTCC lookalike. It passed the MOT OK because the field of view was not inhibited by the sunstrip at the top.

I think this is an open and shut case. The bobby did not test in the normal field of view, and without the sunstrip in place, on a bright and sunny day, you would use the normal sun visor, which cuts 100% from your field of view if it is in use.

The tint in the window is there for a reason - SAFETY.

Let it go to court mate. I would.

Pete - the strip across the top of the car is not an issue mate.

The front windscreen returned 80% light, and was therefore fine.

Its the front, side windows that are the issue - so if I did not make that 100% clear :blush:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links