Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Baby Car Seat

Hi

I have just purchased an IS200 Sport w reg (2000). We have a young son (8 months old) and are having problems finding a baby car seat which fits well in to the car.. We have taken the car to 3 different Halfords to get different opinions, each not knowing we have been to the others, and all of them couldn't really commit to saying that any of the seats they have were in their opinion good enough fits..

We have got a Britax rennaisance car seat which we had from a previous car which they have fitted the best they could, the Britax website also says it gives an 'acceptable' fit to the IS200 model but the approved fitters in all 3 Halfords were not happy themselves so we are not too sure what to do..

Does anyone else have a car seat they use in the IS200? Our car does not have the Isofix fitted, this came a year later I believe.. can this be fitted as an after install??

I think the main problem is that the buckles in the back come out from the seat quite a bit and so when the car seat is fitted the buckle is too high up the side of the car seat to be able to get enough tightness to pull the babyseat into the back of the rear passenger seat.. can they be replaced at all with shorter buckles?

I am sure we are not the first to have come across this problem so any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Steve

Hi

I have just purchased an IS200 Sport w reg (2000). We have a young son (8 months old) and are having problems finding a baby car seat which fits well in to the car.. We have taken the car to 3 different Halfords to get different opinions, each not knowing we have been to the others, and all of them couldn't really commit to saying that any of the seats they have were in their opinion good enough fits..

We have got a Britax rennaisance car seat which we had from a previous car which they have fitted the best they could, the Britax website also says it gives an 'acceptable' fit to the IS200 model but the approved fitters in all 3 Halfords were not happy themselves so we are not too sure what to do..

Does anyone else have a car seat they use in the IS200? Our car does not have the Isofix fitted, this came a year later I believe.. can this be fitted as an after install??

I think the main problem is that the buckles in the back come out from the seat quite a bit and so when the car seat is fitted the buckle is too high up the side of the car seat to be able to get enough tightness to pull the babyseat into the back of the rear passenger seat.. can they be replaced at all with shorter buckles?

I am sure we are not the first to have come across this problem so any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Steve

Well we have a maxi cosi car seat and that fits nice and tight.

what i do is after clipping the buckles in, that you pull the seat belt as far out as possible (to activate the locking mechanism of the belt) and then retract back the excess belt and push the car seat so that thebelt is tight due to the locking of the seatbelt

We have a Britax rennaisance and yes it is just about acceptable in our old IS due to the length of the buckle belt. Once you get it right it is a tight fit though, probably better than 95% of the fittings people do in their cars.

The IS is very very poor to get a seat to fit well, forward or rear facing. Belts are too short, buckle belts too long and the angle of the seat etc.

ah cheers mate, just been out and done this and it has made alot of difference.. a much securer fit which has made us much happer.. why the fitters did not even try this I cannot understand, or is that because we went to Halfords!!!

Thank you very much

No problems

I thought that this was 'the method' to fit car seats??

Anyway have to do the same in the civic too... otherwise it just seems loose and floppy :unsure:

Had similar problems.

From my experience. Britax Rock a Tot fits rear facing. Britax Club Class Extra fits forward facing but a swine to fit, and the little feet on it mark the leather.

I looked for an Isofix seat can get one!

Hi Steve

I've got a 200 SE "X"plate 2000 (pre isofix) and after trying a load of seats, ended up buying the Renaissance. It fits perfectly and very securely.

ps. I wouldn't go to H******s to buy a bottle of screenwash! :lol:

Hope that helps

Lofty.

Not that I am in need of a seat for mine, but I did notice that it is isofix, so surly any isofix seat should fit ?

ISOFIX mounts were introduced on the face-lift in Oct 2001.

Also just having an ISOFIX seat doesn't mean it's that safe. Still have to read reports/tests and select the best one available.

Hi,

Six months ago I inquired about the possibility to have the Isofix mounts retrofitted on a '99 model. Lexus said no. :( Anyway, Isofix seats are usually more expensive and like Colin said not necessarily better than the belt-secured ones.

We've got the maxicosi rear facing one for 0-13 month babies, and the seatbelt is just about long enough. These belts are short indeed :ohmy: .

Cheers,

RX-Men-8

Steve,

I'm using a Maxi Cosi Priory XP car seat for my 10 month old son and it fits very well. The seat comes with an additional mechanism to tighten up the seat belt to ensure a good fit. The colour of the seat (black, grey & silver) matches the interior great too!

Sandeep

• 11 months later...

I too have had the nightmare of looking for a car seat for my 13 month daughter went for the graco seat from birth which now grown out of worked great! as has a base to fit onto but have been to local council offices where they test all child seats they tell me one thing Halfords tell me another and lexus another, bought a seat fron lexus which cost £230 found out its the britax dou plus iso fix which can get at kiddicare for £136 but got lexus badge on seat so took it straight back now stumped sick to death of looking can anyone shed any more light please