Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2jz-gte Head Gasket Replacement

taspland

Erm - not a job I'd tackle to be honest, I had a chat with a couple of garages about having mine done as it's got a couple of valve collotts on their way out - ranges from £700 upto £1200. :crybaby:

The reason is that the engine needs to be raised and alot of parts need to be removed and then new gaskets and bolts etc... are needed.

One of the other members - JAC114 had the same symptoms and this turned out to be the Head Gasket aswell.

Hi Tom,

Its pretty rare for a 2JZ head gasket to go.

Actually its very very rare. I've had 4 Supras, and have supplied parts for over 300 customer ones, and have only heard of 1 actually going.

The OEM toyota ones are multi-layer metal gaskets!

Might be worth a pro looking over it. Theres a few good Supra mechanics down south.

Good luck :)

Regards,

Gareth.

Gareth,

what are your thoughts on it being a seal within the turbo going causing water ingress? The car has done 60,000 apparently and the turbos need to be serviced at 75,000 so they might have gone early if the mileage on the car is correct?

• 9 months later...
Anyone have a workshop manual? I will leave it to my mechanic, but I need to get a list of bits to purchase, anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

Tom

There are quite a few manual references on mkiv.com

http://www.mkiv.com/manual/index.html

Don't think he is that worried about a manual right now as he is selling the car, I'm looking at buying it hence I'm asking what this problem was and if it was sorted out.

Anyone have a workshop manual? I will leave it to my mechanic, but I need to get a list of bits to purchase, anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

Tom

There are quite a few manual references on mkiv.com

http://www.mkiv.com/manual/index.html

Don't think he is that worried about a manual right now as he is selling the car, I'm looking at buying it hence I'm asking what this problem was and if it was sorted out.

header tank vid (4.5MB WMV)

Just done a quick vid showing header tank. This was brought up before I replaced the rusty rad cap and before I took the whole rad off to fit the main crank case pulley, as the old one had parted this mortal world.

So this problem of the white smoke from the exhaust was it in winter? I take it there is no evidence of it now? I was actually going to ask as well why the crank pulley had been replaced. The car has little or no miles on it so what happened to the pulley?

White smoke is only evident on startup for a few seconds then goes.

The dampened pulley had been going for a while I found. I thought it was a slipping aux belt however as I was driving home one day I lost all power to steering and brakes. Pulled over immediately to find the outer part of the pulley resting on the plastic tray under the rad. Had the motor recovered to a garage. Turns out the rubber dampener that fits between the hub and the pulley had perished. Thats why I replaced the pulley.

So this problem of the white smoke from the exhaust was it in winter? I take it there is no evidence of it now? I was actually going to ask as well why the crank pulley had been replaced. The car has little or no miles on it so what happened to the pulley?

White smoke is only evident on startup for a few seconds then goes.

The dampened pulley had been going for a while I found. I thought it was a slipping aux belt however as I was driving home one day I lost all power to steering and brakes. Pulled over immediately to find the outer part of the pulley resting on the plastic tray under the rad. Had the motor recovered to a garage. Turns out the rubber dampener that fits between the hub and the pulley had perished. Thats why I replaced the pulley.

You mean the auxilliary belt tensioner?

You mean the auxilliary belt tensioner?

No, it was the main crank drive pulley. Basically its a hub and a pulley with rubber inbetween to dampen the rotationional forces on the crank. Its the biggest one at the bottom of the engine.

Tom, mine went a while back, it was due to me replacing the aux belt with a Lexus GS300, but as you know these are not GS300 engines but Supra ones, the belt I fitted was about 2" smaller than the one that should have been fitted resulting in the bottom pulley giving way, the rubber clutch went. Replaced the pulley and the belt and all is well.

Those that went to the Euro Tour in Germany last year back will remember the noise being made, some thought it may had been the Air Con pump going.

BR

Paul