Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How Much Further Will She Go...!

BigK

Drove a new IS200 on courtesy the other month. Much tighter gearbox and brakes but engine seemed a little less willing to spin round to red line. I guess the low down torque (what little there is on these) has dropped off a little...but she still flies on a good road spun up above 4500...

Drove a new IS200 on courtesy the other month. Much tighter gearbox and brakes but engine seemed a little less willing to spin round to red line. I guess the low down torque (what little there is on these) has dropped off a little...but she still flies on a good road spun up above 4500...

That seems about right for a bullet proof engine built by Lexus/Toyota B)

i was concerned about high mileage when i bought mine. on 108k now, not far behind you and ive not had any probs to shout about. lex bolton told me that they have serviced IS200's with over 200k on the clock, one being 250k and without any major probs in the engines life so im not worried.

Marcus, are you putting the turbo on that engine or are you getting another one with lower mileage?

I went to forced induction at 60k and she's been fine so far (touch wood) :)

Marcus, are you putting the turbo on that engine or are you getting another one with lower mileage?

I went to forced induction at 60k and she's been fine so far (touch wood) :)

yes mate but it will only be runing for 6 to 8 months till i get the cash for the Engine to be worked on :whistling: and in them 6 to 8 months i will see how it is :winky:

As with all Japense built Toyota's, mileage isn't the issue, it's condition and history.

100,000 miles is absolutely nothing, even a Citroen or Renault can easily do that, why do you think that for years Taxi fleets were filled with Toyota CarinaII's and Nissan Bluebirds even upto 10 years old, for the simple reason they kept going.

I have a friend who's dad used to work in a Taxi company, a chap there had a 1.6 Carina II automatic and did 420,000 miles on the same engine and gearbox but had to withdraw it from service when it reached that fleets age maximum of 10 years, last I heard his wife is still using the car 4 years on.

As for the IS200, I should think 300,000 miles is quite easy if looked after, however the Avensis 1.8 VVT-i engines do seem to be having lots of trouble at around the 50k mark with burning excessive oil, but other than that the rest of the Toyota group engines seem to last forever.

Do Lexus offer a low cost filter and oil change service for high-milers? I can't justify the £100 - £150 inspection service they normally do but I'd like to keep their mechanics doing the work if possible as you never know what they might spot whilst changing the oil...!! If not its over to the independents and pray!!

Do Lexus offer a low cost filter and oil change service for high-milers? I can't justify the £100 - £150 inspection service they normally do but I'd like to keep their mechanics doing the work if possible as you never know what they might spot whilst changing the oil...!! If not its over to the independents and pray!!

You could ask your dealer how much they would charge just to do an oil change. They should be able to do that for you they just won't stamp the service book. You could then get it serviced every 20,000 miles.

Would still be quite expensive as their labour rates and oil prices are high.