Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

It Networking Question

Brettster

Im trying to set up a small network for my bosses

they want a machine with win2000 pro to host some files

now i have them all setup to share the folder

and they need to log on to the folder to get access using the win2000 logon details.

is there a way to password protect the folder?

and if possible have sub folders inside the shared folder that would require another password to access it, something stronger than just the logon stuff??

Im a bit out of my depth with this stuff

many thanks guys :)

I am not sure it is possible to set password access to a folder - just tried it on my XP Pro system here; I note that you have a Win2k system.

But you can set security settings on individual folders - so if you create a top level share, then work down the folders allowing or denying access as necessary - a bit of a long way around I know.

Users connected to the share can then access (or not) folders based upon their userid.

If the files are created from any Microsoft Office application you can password protect those files.

If you are only sharing folders and not setting up windows network to login you may find that you cant apply the normal Windows security to the files.

The normal security is applied by right clicking on the file; going to properties and the pop-up box will have a security section on it where you add the users that you want to give access to the files

I really only have the basics of networking, but when they first try to access the shared folder, they have to type the same log on details as you would to access the win2000 machine. but they have winxp on their own computers and it keeps the log on password, so anyone who happend to get on their machine if they was not there would have full access to the shared folder.

Ive looked and scratched my head alot but cannot find any way in win2k to password protect any of the sub folders. does anyone know of any free software that does this?

I think most of the software used will be microsoft so maybe the passwording of the actuall files might be the better option.

Thanks for the help so far tho guys :)

Why not password protect their XP login and force them to lock the workstation when they leave?

In other words eveytime yo wanna use the workstation you login with your password. Use screen saver to lock the station if unattended for more than 5 mins and force it to ask for password to unlock the station(all under screen saver)

at the moment the share is set to everyone on the win2k machine, and i think that most of the data in the shared folder will be accessed by most of the users in the company, but they wanted a more secure folder within the shared folder for people with a need to know only basis protected with a secure password.

There's no native way to do it with 2K - and especially not a folder. Plex has suggested all you can do really - use the feature of the application or lock the workstation when they leave their desks, using the screensaver as well. Make it a company policy.

There's a few third apps that do it HERE

Probably worth a look.