Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Colour Match

SteveyBoy

Hi Guys

Has anyone had paintwork carried out on Astral Black cars and been satisfied with the result?

My IS200 had the front end painted at the dealership prior to me buying the car nearly 2 years ago. When the sunshines, which isn't very often, it is a totally different colour.......looks very milky and grey. Eventually got the dealership to agree and they repainted it, but unfortunately it was no different.

Having decided to live with it, as I was just getting grief off the dealership, I have now had an accident repair done to front wing and bumber, through a different dealership and guess what, the colour match is very poor. The body shop have stated that they can'y get it any better and the dealership have verbally agreed it is not acceptable, but don't know what to do about it.

Don't quite know where this will end up but has anyone else had similar problems?

Weird - I thought astral black (202) was one of the easiest colours to match. I guess if your local dealer has agreed that the colour doesn't match then they should pay for it being done again (preferably at a paintshop of your choice).

I'm having my bumper re-done from a mobile company 'Auto Clense' next Thursday. The garage I bought it from failed to do it properly the first time before I picked it up. There paying for the works, but I'm really sceptical about this whole 'out in the open' spraying!

The dealership got another bodyshop involved and they said it needed polishing properly as the problem was hologramming in the lacquer. They had it for a day and it came back worse with mop marks all over the wing and drivers door where they had tried to blend it in to the door.

Evidently Lexus specify ICI paint for the refinish and there is only 2/3 shades to choose from, mine is now the darkest and is still not right.

I have now contacted PPG (who have taken over ICI Autocolor) to see if they can help, but even if I new of a 'good' bodyshop I have no guarantees of a better job.

I didn't use my Insurance recommended repairer because I thought I was better off using a Lexus approved repairer and now, of course, my insurance dont want to get involved. :angry:

i dont understand why lexus cant match it properly. lexus bolton and manchester both use MCR and ive never had any probs. i've had the rear quarter resprayed, passenger door, rear bumper, front bumper and front wing done. not one prob.

you must be really peed off at the mo mate.

drop lexus gb a line mate and see what they have to say on the matter.

I had the same problem with mine after using a Lexus dealer for warranty work on the bodywork.

It took 4 attempts to get it right.

When I bought the car there was touch up paint left in the car and the garage who carried out the repair also left a touch up pot, the two "colours" are quite different.

It was eventually a toyota mix astral black they used.

I recently had all the stone chips on the front end of car painted & polished out by chips away, the guy said the colour was the easiest to match cos most black cars have a lot of red in, mine however was pretty much... well... black, he's done a great job, can only just make out the dip in the paintwork on very close inspection but he did spend all day as everytime he started to polish the white undercoat could be seen through, I think in all he applied about 12 coats in the end on the bumper.

Stuart

Hi Guys

Thanks for all your comments!!!!

I can't believe that 4 attempts, two on the whole front end and two now on the accident repair, which has been 3 different body repairers all recommended by 2 different Lexus dealerships, have all given the same :tsktsk: result.

Dependant on what my local dealership say next, I may well involve Lexus GB as this isn't what I expected when I purchased a Lexus and as you guys are saying, black is black. I may suggest my dealership shipping the car up to Manchester to get the repair done if MCR have a proven track record.

just had a thought, dont know if it would make any difference or not but...

has the car had a supaguard coating or anything like that which maybe is making the rest of the car look different compared to the new sprayed area which doesnt have the coating?

i dont know how much of a difference these coatings make?

Yes it has had the Supaguard treatment, but the repair(s) have also been done.......so they tell me anyway.....Thanks for the suggestion!!

I have taken it to a local MBRA/VBRA approved repairer and they laughed at the colour but they also said it was down to the polishing. They wisked it away for 5 minutes and did a small patch themselves and came back and confirmed it was the colour and nothing to do with the polishing. Even they didn't know what I should do.

Very tempted to dump it on the forecourt of the local dealership and leave it with them until it gets sorted.

I eventually went to Lexus GB who did make a difference in getting it sorted and threw in my next service free!

To be fair the dealer always agreed that the colour match was unacceptable but they blamed the bodyshop who told me that the guy who normally mixes the paint was on holiday!!!!