Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Basic Rx (xu3) Tire Size Guide

SuperChargedL

I want to give this list to other RX300 users. I was experiencing some difficulties when sourcing new Winter tires for my RX300.

These tyre sizes should be ok:

Original 17x6.5" wheels:

225/60R17 (default in Europe)

225/65R17 (default in North-America)

235/65R17 (Lexus recommended winter tire size in North-America)

Original 18x7" wheels:

235/55R18 (default in Europe and North-America)

235/60R18 (My winter setup, using Nokian Tyres Hakkapeliitta SUV. This size should be ok for summer tires also, but it depends of the tire tolerance, since it's getting near to the spring saddle in the rear, there is about 5-7mm space above the tire with my Winter tires. The tolerance of a tire is +/- 10mm)

TTE 19x8" wheels (or any 19x8" wheel with offset 33):

255/45R19 (TTE recommended tire size)

You should be able to put 20" also, but I don't know the wheel width nor offset nor tire size.

Cheers for the info, does that apply to both MK 1 & 2 RX? Whats TTE mean ? :duh:

I'm still trying to find a set of 19's with bigger tyres for my MK 2 RX. So does that mean I need to look for 19 x 8 with a 33 offset & 255/45 R19 tyres?

TTE 19x8" wheels have offset 33 and they recommend tire size 255/45. I was thinking getting a set of those for my RX. It seems like Pirelli is the only tyre manufacturer that has the exactly correct tyre size (255/45/19).

Colin, so if you keep the rolling radius the same the speedo reading shouldn't be effected - is that right? Also, I seem to remember hearing that some 4x4 vehicles like early Volvo V70 XC and Audi Allroad were tyre dependant and that uneven wear or tread depth could destroy the drive shaft. Is there a problem with fitting a wider tyre to the RX ? Say 255 over the standard 235's? Or could this cause the system to fail?

Pete

Yes the circumference should be kept as close as possible to the stock wheels so the speedo and odometer calibration is maintained.

Not heard any problem with fitting different wheels to an RX provided they are the correct offset etc. The stock wheel sizes are 225/60 17" and 235/55 18" and TTE have tested the 19" wheels.

When you change the wheels you should get a 4-wheel alignment done to avoid uneven wear problems.

If you use this tyre calculator 245/45/19 are a better match to the stock 225/60/17 tyres and there is more choice for that size.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

As the wheels are only 8" wide 245 size would be fine.

What Colin says is true and you would have a more varied choice of tyres.

My tyres are 255 X 45 X 18 Pirellis and they are around £220 each. The reason they are wider is because the wheels are 8.5

If you use this tyre calculator 245/45/19 are a better match to the stock 225/60/17 tyres and there is more choice for that size.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

As the wheels are only 8" wide 245 size would be fine.

255/45/19 matches the original tire size 235/55/18 better.

8" is fine for 245 and 255.

The standard wheels on the RX/Harrier are 17" though not 18".

Yes 8" are fine for 245 and 255. I wasn't saying you shouldn't use the 255 size I was giving you an option so that you had more tyre choice instead of just Pirelli.