Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Debt Collectors

Steve

Ok I have a weird one

Received a letter from a company who claim I owe £298.56 from credit i got from a high street store.

Now This credit was taken out about 7-8 years ago and as far as i can remember it was all paid as I had a few payments I was running at that time.

So.. for all this time i have never received a letter saying I owed this money.. as far as I was aware it was all paid up.

My question is

I got an Experian report and this debt was not listed

Can this company claim from me after all this time?

I feel as if these are scammers to be honest.. i have done company house checks.. thats in order.. but the main company is based in Bermuda... nice place to hide money!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds like they have taken over the old debt (if there was one)steve and added interest to it ,not sure how you stand but would think you have a good case not to pay it due to length of time it has been.bloody dedt collectors and ballifs scum of the earth

I knew a guy who was deeply in debt to lots of people. He decided that the only fair way to pay them all off was to put thier names in a hat and every week on a Friday pull one of the names out. and whoever that was he would send £10 to them.

One of the debtors phoned him demanding payment in full. He explained what he did and told them that if they phoned again then they wouldn't even go into the hat!!

6 years sounds familier to me. Just because it is not on Experian does not mean there is not a debt against the address. THere are 2 other compannies equafax is one and I can not remember the third but if you do a search you will be able to find it and get your credit file checked out with them.

In case it is a scam, go to the compannies house website and you can do a search on there to see if the Debt collection agency is registered there.

It might also be worth checking old bank records to confirm full payment. It does sound like a scam though as most compannies are pretty quick in dealing with debt

When I was hassled by an agency (due to U direct tv not taking the money out of my account) I had a lot of hassle. I even sent cheaques which were not cashed with one excuse being we never recieved it. Only problem was I sent it with a courieer so I knew who signed for it. They will try anything to get more money out of. It was not until I said I have made every effort to pay for the service that I will constitute non acceptance of my cash as a gift. Funny they cashed the cheaque very quickly.

I'm pretty sure that a debt is valid for 12 years.

This sounds like a scam though - it's not unreasonable to ask for proof that the debt is real

No way is it 12 years Rodders

its the statute of limitations.

the creditor has 6 years to register the debt/take court proceedings. After he/she/it has done that they can take forever.

Got that from a bailiff :winky:

The quick and simple way to deal with this is to say "sue me" or see you in court.

Seems like they have taken a list of people who did have a loan with the company and then sent out these letters to see who will pay up again. Sounds like they seem to have just the list of names but no details of loans. Seems like the details are missing because the loan is cleared.

Tell them you might counter sue for causing distress and wasting your time

The letter had 2 company names.

One based here and registered in the UK and the other based in Bermuda...

Perhaps they want me to send them money to their Bermuda company as no one can trace that??

When i called them the way they answered the phone was pretty cacky

Also I had a right piggin moan at the guy on the phone and he claimed than he was just doing his job.

He asked me to go to Experian and get a report... but what was fishy is that he said that if the debt is not listed that I should fax him the report to prove that the money is not owed.... 2 seconds later he then said if you get an online report then just send it by email. Made me suspicious that they were trying it on.

Sounds as though they're just trying it on. If a debt has been passed to a collection agency, they will at least have info on why you owe it. You should also be able to check with the original store for confirmation they have 'sold' the debt on.

I don't know how long they can keep chasing for money owed, but figured there wouldn't be a date on it? If it's not on your Experian or Equifax file, I wouldn't worry about it too much - tell them to supply you proof you owe the money or bugger off!

A bit fishy indeed. Did they have a company number or did you check companies house online for the name of the company.

:whistling: Dont waste your time on calls etc. Tell them that you'll send them your solicitors name by recorded delivery when they require it

We had the same thing happen to us a couple of years back. This firm rang us saying we owed them money for something we had bought on monthly repayment years before.

We said we had payed it completey and did not owe anything. We asked if they had proof and why, if they thought we owed money, had it taken so long to contact us. Their reply THE COMPUTER SYSTEM had crashed. We told them we had all the counterfoils of the payments ( we didn't really ), and if they could prove otherwise we would contact our soliciter and they could deal with him.

Guess what? yep never heard anything else,so I think it could be another scam

We had the same thing happen to us a couple of years back. This firm rang us saying we owed them money for something we had bought on monthly repayment years before.

We said we had payed it completey and did not owe anything. We asked if they had proof and why, if they thought we owed money, had it taken so long to contact us. Their reply THE COMPUTER SYSTEM had crashed. We told them we had all the counterfoils of the payments ( we didn't really ), and if they could prove otherwise we would contact our soliciter and they could deal with him.

This company are called Aktiv Kapital (UK) Ltd

This company are called Aktiv Kapital (UK) Ltd

they have a web site here and give a postal address in central chester.

steve, your picture is on the debt collection page :lol: it says wanted below it!

they do look like a professional outfit.

• 2 months later...

I have a reply from them.. it says

Although you have advised that payment has been made on the above account this has not been traced. Please supply us with all the relevant proof.

Ok so I called them and told them I have just received my Experian report and she "and??" I said well it show I owe you nothing

She said

"So you think that because the debt is not on the experian report that you no longer owe us the money?"

I said

"yeah"

She said

"No.. you have to proof proof of payments by receipt"

I went balistic... I had a full blown argument and she was all cool and sarcastic.

Told her that she wont stand a chance in court and I wont be paying it

She said "you have 7 days or we will take you to court"

I cooly said "whatever"

But I am now worried.. I cannot afford a CCJ ... will cripple me if i do

Is she calling my bluff or what??

Help I despratly need firm info