Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

whining noise through stereo

Hi

Wonder if anyone can help. I have fitted a kenwood head unit and power amp to my 1996 gs300. I did this for a couple of reasons, one being that I was getting a high pitched whine through my speakers which increased with acceleration and turning on of indicators. I thought this could be an earthing problem so I changed the factory fitted Pioneer premium system. The new system sounds ace but I still have the whining noise through the speakers despite fitting a surpressor. I have heard a rumour that there may be some sort of surpressor in the engine bay that may have failed. If anyone knows how I can sort this I would be grateful. I have rewired the entire stereo so I know it is all grounded/shielded correctly.

Cheers

Ade

I got them from Race Sonic in the US, it's $19.00 plus shipping plus P & P. Total of $53.00 for the lot.:cool: They work when I switch on the dipped lights and they are connected by two wires (+ & - ) to the aux circuit lighting.

• 2 weeks later...

This is generally caused by ground wire problems. There are a few solutions. If you are using any aftermarket amplifiers, make sure the ground wire is less than 6in long. You can also not use the existing gnd wire for the head unit. ground your head unit to something4-8in away. If neither work, or you dont want to avoid the harness you can by line surpressers from general electronics stores (Like radio shack). They are sometimes called ground loop isolators.

JD

Originally posted by cjoshdoll

This is generally caused by ground wire problems. There are a few solutions. If you are using any aftermarket amplifiers, make sure the ground wire is less than 6in long. You can also not use the existing gnd wire for the head unit. ground your head unit to something4-8in away. If neither work, or you dont want to avoid the harness you can by line surpressers from general electronics stores (Like radio shack). They are sometimes called ground loop isolators.

JD

I have some suppressors from a while ago - are they all the same, or can they differ in some way? Where would you put a suppressor? In-line on the earth lead?

Ta:)

The ones I have used the most are ones that go inline with the RCA cables to an amp. You plug the source wires from the head unit into the filter, then the otherside you plug wires from the filter to the line in of the amp. I have used inline power noise surpressers but not often. Most aftermarket stereos have pretty good built in stuff. I belive I have seen ones that go between the antenna and the head unit, but Im not sure. I belive the best solution is to check ground wires first, but if you are not comfortable with it or it doesnt work, this is the route to follow.

JD