Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What's The Max You've Got Out Of A Tank?

I've had for a couple of weeks, a 51 reg is200 sport which had done ikt's previous 20k miles pottering around london"!

Anyway, have just spent the weekend up north at my parents. Filled up here in Ipswich, and with a mixture of A roads on general pottering around, have covered 532 miles in one go! I was just appraoching the petrol station last night when it coughed! Filling up, I got 69 litres in, so it really was on vapours!

So, an average of 35 mpg, IMMSMC

Can anyone do any better? If I hadn't have been stuck in traffic on the A1, I'd have probably got a little more out of it!

Regards,

Paul "Frugal" Fidler :geek:

I love my car but two quibbles are the poor mpg along with the okay but not decent acceleration. If I could only get near 532 miles out of a tank, I'd be well chuffed. Driving like my nan and mainly on motorways, I've only ever got 436 miles out of mine and I ran out of petrol as well as I was crawling into the petrol garage. To get another 100 or so miles would be a dream!

Ok, my first contribution to the site. I've recorded every litre purchased and mile travelled in my 99 T plate 200 sport ( Yes I'm sad, and I can use MS Excel).

So in 5 years and 80K miles we ( the car and I are a partnership) have used 10,365 litres, thats 2280 gallons at an average of 31.86 mpg. 1500 of those gallons have been Shell. It pains me to say that Optimax gives no better mpg, nor any perceptible increase in performance as I work at the only location that makes it.

The biggest purchase was 56 litres, 12 and a bit gallons. I like to keep some in reserve.

Yes and all that tax, almost enough to have bought my own lane. Is that why some drivers refuse to pull over ?

Sorry moving away from the original question. Longest distance between petrol stations has been 465 miles. Cautious in the extreme.

weekend i went to Alton towers from Southampton, over 400 miles for the trip and i still had about an 8th of a tank left! light had not come on! B)

i put it down to the fact that most of it was motorway miles, but did have a bit of a race with my mate now and then :ph34r:

J

IS300 - i get about 230 miles per tank mixed driving in town and motorway

im pretty heavy footed though

most ive got is 280 miles doing all motorway

i use optimax all the time except when its not available

one thing thats annoyed me is how expensive optimax has gotten

the shell garage was doing unleaded at 80.9p but optimax was 87.5 which was a bit outrageous

:driving:

532 miles!!!

was it all downhill? :lol:

Nope, and that's with an up and down of the pennines (twice) inbetween!

65 - 70 mph seems awfully slow when you are skint!

The next time I do the journey, I;ll do an ecu reset and shove optimax in and see if there is a differance!

i've never let the needle go that low down most i've had is about 420

Yeah, me too I would never let my needle go that low - it's not good for the car.

Saying that...everytime I loan an IS200 from a dealer the needle is usually that low!

Anyway most I've had is circa 400 miles.

Mixture of motorways and A road. Usually takes 59 lits to fill up. The max I have ever had out of my car is 400 miles. Noticed that the spec mentions the tank capacity is 70 ltrs. So if left to run down to the fumes then possibly get 460 miles.

If your doing 500+ miles on one tank then your doing better then I could ever. (must be down to wanting to have the power feeling)

With regards to Optimax, I read a recent report that outlined that Optimax did not contribute to some of the benefits it's suppose to. (But that will be down to the drivers opinion) along with some of the supermarket fuels are not as effective as some of the well known petroleum companies. Not sure who commissioned the test. Makes you wonder????

With regards to Optimax, I read a recent report that outlined that Optimax did not contribute to some of the benefits it's suppose to. (But that will be down to the drivers opinion) along with some of the supermarket fuels are not as effective as some of the well known petroleum companies. Not sure who commissioned the test. Makes you wonder????

Sorry but I have to defend Optimax, the report you refer to was a test using one gallon of Optimax, then using one gallon of supermarket fuel. Hardly scientific or representative of normal conditions.

Having made a statement by owning and running a Lexus, I would recommend you stick with the better fuels. Shell, BP, Texaco etc. supermarket brands are refined by the big companies, but they don't get the additives.

I'd love to know what I'm doing wrong!

I seem to always get around the 300 miles mark on £50.

Thats filling to the brim shortly after the light comes on.

I managed to drive like a nanna for the duration of a whole tank, didn't seem to make any difference!!

Whats the secret?

I managed to drive like a nanna for the duration of a whole tank, didn't seem to make any difference!!

Whats the secret?

1. Don't Go through the gears when accelerating. Depends what speed you want to be at, but if it's around town, then 1,2,6th normally works for me. You need to get to the speed you want to be at asap! Whilst other cars are still accelerating, you'll be doing 40mpg

2. whilst crusing, 6th will do you at pretty much any speed over 28 ish MPH. An engine works best under load

3. when crusing, watch your MPG gauge. You should be able to do any speed at 30mpg (over 80 doesn't count :D ). Very slowly (and I mean SLOWLY) take your foot off till the gauge gets to 40mph. You speed will very slowly decrease, but it doesn't take much to get back up to the speed you want to be at. This is called 'Impulse Driving'

4. Take your foot fully off the accelerator when going downhill or slowing down. The ECU cuts the fuel so long as the revs are above a certain limit. no fuel + speed = mega fuel consumption!

I think that's about it really. Hope this helps! You really need to be able to feel the accelerator notches when lifting your foot off. And use the MPG guage