Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is This Possible?

OK, so i was watching a program the other day, think it was about people who go fast seemingly having better perception and are generally more stable people. So anyway, was on about a racing driver, and somehow managed to do this: -

Coming off the motorway, he floored it, and drifted it at a constant speed around a sliproad, with one hand, whilst managing to change his cd in the car, that i think was located in the glove box?

How is this possible? Must stress here this is not something i could try and would never try. Is it just a case of once in the drift that's it?

hmm, not as easy as i thought it would be. If i go round a roundabout then at speed, and turn the steering wheel harsher, i can get the car's back end to come out (even with traction on). Is this drifting? but there is no use of the clutch involved in this.

Hehe, i can rack up well over 150000 on Need for Speed, just chain drift in the mx5 :winky:

It's *much* easier with more power and less traction - I was driven by a madman/racing driver on a track day who could keep the car sideways for ever. At the same event I had a go in a race prepped Caterham 7 with bald rear tyres (seriously - it's for autotests) which was incredibly easy to drive sideways, do doughnuts in etc etc.

Also, I'm constantly amazed by what people can do with a bit of skill and a lot of practice - I once saw a film of a bloke in a twin engined prop aircraft, who flew it through a victory roll (ie. upside down) but kept the thing effectively always pulling positive g. He flew this manouevre one handed, because with his other hand he was pouring a cup of tea out of a teapot into a cup on the "dashboard"....

• 1 month later...

My back end is always going at the moment it's like driving on ice most of the time. Starting to play with it when it goes but scared to death It will suddenly get traction and go head on into the round about!

its a lot easier to get the back end to drift on the 17" rims than the wider 18" rims. but it is all about the correct aplication of power and steering.

i quite like playing bout in big car parks at night, but i would say that having tested the limit of the car in a safe environment has helped me keep the car in control in road situatons where it has started to slide.

i.e diesel and wet corners. gives you an understanding of the cars dynamics and that slides are not scary if u stay calm

in the snow you wont drift you will crash!

the IS200 handles like ***** on the snow as i found out last year. even as stupid slow speeds it was *******!

best time to practise a drift is after its finished raining but for full control its gotta be dry

OK, so i was watching a program the other day, think it was about people who go fast seemingly having better perception and are generally more stable people.  So anyway, was on about a racing driver, and somehow managed to do this: -

Coming off the motorway, he floored it, and drifted it at a constant speed around a sliproad, with one hand, whilst managing to change his cd in the car, that i think was located in the glove box?

How is this possible?  Must stress here this is not something i could try and would never try.  Is it just a case of once in the drift that's it?

excellent topic, i have been involved in the setup of, sorry( Nissan ) for road/ race drifting, and track days, the drift is 90% geometry 10% madness, all the settings i apply are based on my experiences of geometry, before i disclose any settings i wonderd what you at LOC would suggest for the Lexcus setup?

Front Negative Camber, toe in

Rear neutral

yes, yes and no?

it's all about the rear i think? what do you think?

As you would want the car to oversteer in the bends, would agree that the fronts will have crazy neg cambers and more neutral at the rear but would they have some toe out?

Edited by OLI_EP3

Front Negative Camber, toe in

Rear neutral

yes, yes and no?

it's all about the rear i think? what do you think?

As you would want the car to oversteer in the bends, would agree that the fronts will have crazy neg cambers and more neutral at the rear but would they have some toe out?

"Give that man a balloon" you are in my opinion spot on... a true drift example is

/ /

\ / from this you can see that through the rear toe in this example there are three wheels steering the drift. this now has hp and control of the rear steer, unless anyone knows better.....?

"Give that man a balloon" you are in my opinion spot on... a true drift example is

/ /

\ / from this you can see that through the rear toe in this example there are three wheels steering the drift. this now has hp and control of the rear steer, unless anyone knows better.....?

Could you explain in more detail about this? I dont quite understand the little diagram, unless the diagram is showing a car approaching a rh bend then it does make sense.

I am very interested in the vehicle dynamics of geometry and their uses in drifting! :blush:

/ /

Could you explain in more detail about this? I dont quite understand the little diagram, unless the diagram is showing a car approaching a rh bend then it does make sense.

I am very interested in the vehicle dynamics of geometry and their uses in drifting! :blush:

the diagram shows it wrong, this set up will only help in a left drift, drifting is left and right corners, this is why i stated the rear wheel need to be set neutral..........

they brake traction through chassis set up as much as geometry........not geometry alone, on a drift car the suspension is set soft on the front and as hard as possible on the rear,

alot of this rear set up is achived by hard coils/dampers and very stiff anti-roll bars

on the front a softer spring rate and more compliant anti-roll bar is used, negative camber on the front is used for maximum grip under extreme steering angles, with toe in assisting in sharp snappy turn in.

the car shell needs to be as stiff as possible, with maximum weiight at the front and minimum at the rear, with a usual HP of around 200-300 for a saloon car the size of an Altezza/IS200, and of course rear wheel drive

4x4 drifting.what in general, you dont see many pro drifter using 4 wheel drive cars, infact every car in the D1 series is RWD

4 wheel drives drift through momentum, not chassis dynamics, you must remember that a "drift" car is set up to be unstable , but predictable in turns........