Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Climate Control Must Have Air Conditioning On!

Probably going to get very obvious answers but just want to double check there's no problem with my climate control system.

About this time of year and going onwards, I have the climate control system on in the car and I probably have the temperature a few more notches up than what I have had for the past few months. But the car's windows completely mist up in a matter of seconds to the point I can't see a thing. So I have to have the A/C on permenantly to keep it clear. This therefore means that the A/C is on pretty much the whole of the winter, even more than during the summer!!!!

Its averaging about 13 or 14 degrees around my way at the moment.

Have I got all my settings wrong to have to have the A/C on or does everyone else have this problem as well?

you need to draw fresh air from the outside to prevent the build up of moisture inside the car caused by breathing.

ensure your controls are set so the air recirculation is off and after a while the moisture in the car will disappear leaving you with a fog free windscreen.

just a thought but check your boot because carrying wet stuff like golf clubs and football kit is a killer which i am guilty of every weekend.

Also check your pollen filter isn't clogged up.

i get more bother with having rain drops on the back windscreen that dont clear! wish i had a rear wiper!

Treat it with RainX or similar - helps a lot to keep it clear.

@ Pete - you can get a can of spray stuff which kills the bacteria in the system and effectively neutralises the smell - only about a tenner I think if that?

It's called Forte - your dealer should carry it.

As for the weather lately, it's warm but very damp, and the AC I believe effectively removes the moisture from the air which is why the car clears so quickly.

Got to admit I don't get a serious problem with misting up at the moment - but I do tend to slap the heater onto the last setting (window) with AC on for the first few minutes, then return it to Auto after around 5 minutes.

Took everyone's advice and on my way home last night, allowed the windows to all mist up (to prove the theory) and then hit the button to deactivate the recirculation thing and guess what, the windows demisted. Hadn't realised it would have made a difference, thought it was all about temperatures either side of the windows and would have never thought of moisture implications.

Simple, quick (and possibly obvious to some) solution but effective....

Again, LOC has come up with the goods!!! Thanks everyone...... I've put the A/C to bed for the winter so its gagging for use next summer!! B)

When you breath out there is moisture in that air so if you have the climate control on recirculate you keep increasing the moisture which is why it mists up.

It is also worth using the air con every couple of week to keep the system functioning correctly.

It is also worth using the air con every couple of week to keep the system functioning correctly.

I'll second that, I had to have the seals replaced on my old Pug because they dried out from me not using the A/C (tight y'see! :ph34r:). Anyway, it cost me £150 which could have been avoided if I'd fired up the A/C once in a while to keep the system lubricated.

I was told that the Refrigeration gas contains a lubricant for the seals, not sure if its true or not but it seems to work! :)

just a quick question, slightly related! on the a/c unit there is the different settings (fan speed). every time i put it onto auto the fan just comes on full, is this right????

i thought the auto setting vary'd according to the temp?

or am i just being a muppet :hehe:

thanks.

J.

just a quick question, slightly related! on the a/c unit there is the different settings (fan speed). every time i put it onto auto the fan just comes on full, is this right????

Have you got the other dial on Auto, the one where you choose the direction of the air flow. If I have speed on Auto but direction on windscreen, it comes out full speed but move it back to Auto and it considers temperature!

If both dials are on Auto, maybe there is a thermostat involved and its faulty but I'm sure someone more qualified will be along to clarify.

i thought the auto setting vary'd according to the temp?

Yes it should vary according to how much difference there is between the set temperature and the actual temperature. It runs fast if there's a big difference and slows down as it gets nearer.

It also runs faster if you are set to demist (windscreen) on the airflow dial.