Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just Bought An Ls400 - Need Advice!

cleverdick

Hi all,

I've just rescued a tatty and neglected 1990 LS400. 104k miles, Lexus service history up to 60k then bugger all after that! However, it drives like a dream and miraculously everything works, even the instrument needles illuminate fully! :D Seats are rock hard. though... :unsure:

So, I hope you don't mind if I ask a few silly few questions :P

(1) There is what appears to be a cooler pipe for either the transmission or PAS, in front of the radiator or a/c condensor at the bottom. This pipe is fairly rusty, especially around the hose unions, so I am anxious to get it changed ASAP, especially if it is a transmission cooler. I've painted it with underseal as a temporary measure just to stop it getting any worse. What is this likely to cost to get changed - or can it easily be done at home?

(2) With the steering on full lock to the left, the horn sounded (I didn't press it, I swear!). Has anyone else experienced this? It has only done it once, though.

(3) Is the transmission shifter position indicator [by the lever] supposed to light up? No big deal with it being in the instruments, but thought I'd ask.

(4) I found a strange steel clip under the passenger seat. I have a pic of it, but can't quite see how to attach it to this post. It's j-shaped, about 10cm long and about 15mm wide, with a couple of 'notches' at the end of the longer side. I was just worried that it might be part of the seat or something, but more likely the remains of an early carphone holder.

(5) I have noticed what looks like an opto sensor of some kind at the bottom of the windshield, right in the corner on the driver's side. Any idea what this is?

(6) Haven't thought of this question yet... :driving:

Cheers...

Rich

Welcome Richard

Number 5 sounds like the sun sensor for the climate control.

could also be censor for automatic lights.

If its black then its for climate control.. if it is a clear eye then it is so when it gets dark the headlights turn on.

Welcome Richard

Number 5 sounds like the sun sensor for the climate control.

could also be censor for automatic lights.

If its black then its for climate control.. if it is a clear eye then it is so when it gets dark the headlights turn on.

didn't think the MKI had auto lights :unsure: