Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1990 Ls400 - A Couple Of Questions

Hi everyone,

I've just bought an old LS400 which, sadly, has seen quite a bit of neglect. However it drives great and everything works, but I have a couple of questions appropriate to this section of the forum which I have already mentioned in the 'general maintenance' bit - hope you don't mind. :tomato:

(1) What is the cooler pipe which runs in front of the radiator / a.c. condensor at the bottom? Is it for the PAS or transmission? I am concerned because this pipe is rusty. I've painted it with underseal temporarily to stop it getting worse, but I know I must get it changed ASAP. Difficult job? Expensive etc. etc.?

(2) Is the shifter position indicator (by the lever) supposed to light up at night? Mine doesn't.

(3) When going over a bump or rough surface, there is a 'tyre smacking' sound from the rear. All tyres are OK, with the rears inflated to 33 p.s.i. Is this sound a symptom of worn suspension bushes or suchlike?

Sorry if these seem trivial questions, but I've only had the car a few days. :blink:

Hi everyone,

I've just bought an old LS400 which, sadly, has seen quite a bit of neglect.  However it drives great and everything works, but I have a couple of questions appropriate to this section of the forum which I have already mentioned in the 'general maintenance' bit - hope you don't mind.  :tomato:

(1) What is the cooler pipe which runs in front of the radiator / a.c. condensor at the bottom?  Is it for the PAS or transmission?  I am concerned because this pipe is rusty.  I've painted it with underseal temporarily to stop it getting worse, but I know I must get it changed ASAP.  Difficult job?  Expensive etc. etc.?

(2) Is the shifter position indicator (by the lever) supposed to light up at night?  Mine doesn't.

(3) When going over a bump or rough surface, there is a 'tyre smacking' sound from the rear.  All tyres are OK, with the rears inflated to 33 p.s.i.  Is this sound a symptom of worn suspension bushes or suchlike?

Sorry if these seem trivial questions, but I've only had the car a few days.  :blink:

Hi everyone,

I've just bought an old LS400 which, sadly, has seen quite a bit of neglect.  However it drives great and everything works, but I have a couple of questions appropriate to this section of the forum which I have already mentioned in the 'general maintenance' bit - hope you don't mind.  :tomato:

(1) What is the cooler pipe which runs in front of the radiator / a.c. condensor at the bottom?  Is it for the PAS or transmission?  I am concerned because this pipe is rusty.  I've painted it with underseal temporarily to stop it getting worse, but I know I must get it changed ASAP.  Difficult job?  Expensive etc. etc.?

(2) Is the shifter position indicator (by the lever) supposed to light up at night?  Mine doesn't.

(3) When going over a bump or rough surface, there is a 'tyre smacking' sound from the rear.  All tyres are OK, with the rears inflated to 33 p.s.i.  Is this sound a symptom of worn suspension bushes or suchlike?

Sorry if these seem trivial questions, but I've only had the car a few days.  :blink:

Hi everyone,

Question 1-Sounds like your oil cooler line ( auto transmission)

Question 2 -Your gear position is lit up on the dash

Question 3 -Sound like the rear hub bushes are shot

Where did you pick it up out of interest?

Stew