Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Another Computer Question

Brettster

I tried to take the hdd out of my old compter and put it in my new computer, I know that everything driver wise would be different so i expected it to complain and ask for the CD, but it just flashes up the winxp home logo and reboots, I tried to fix the instalation using the original winxp home cd but it gets as far as trying to install windows and sticks saying there was 39 mins left to go for around 4 hours, is there an issue with Windows XP home and P4 HT cpu's or a memory limit? I have 2 gigs of ram in my new machine.

or will i have to loose all my old settings and programs and format and reinstall?

the reason i want my old had in is because its a much bigger drive than the one that came with the new computer, and has everything set up just how i want it.

Not really all that well up on XP but I know it works on a points system - allocating so many points for increased memory, so many for upgraded processor etc. I have a feeling it may treat a new hard drive as a new computer so that you can reinsatll XP bet then you have to get an authentication code from microsoft to allow it to work.

They argued that the operating system was almost part of the CPU as opposed to being stand alone software so if you changed your computer you would need a new version of XP. Rather like the cars CPU.

I think you would be OK installing your large drive as a second drive and leave your other as C drive.

Once the new HDD is fitted you will need to activate (if not already) the CDROM as a bootable device in the BIOS and boot up with the XP CD in the drive.

This will give the option to reinstall XP and the option to perform a complete format at the same time to wipe all existing data.

Providing you have all your hardware drivers then there should be no problem as a change of HDD will not affect the re-activation process (based on the above mention of hardware points which is absolutely correct).

HTH

I tried the Cd rom option i told it to reinstall windows XP and it deleted all my existing windows files and then started to install from the cd rom but then after its copied all the files to the hd it just hangs, I can move the mouse and different infomation displays on the screen about how wonderfull Winxp is but the timer never goes below 39 mins even after leaving it for 4 hours.!!!

arrgghh

I'm sure there must of been a way of resolving this without deleting all your files but now that you have, might be worth doing a complete reformat of the harddisk to ensure your starting from scratch. Having said that, the XP install normally asks if you want to delete your partition which I'm assuming you said yes so if this is the case, a reformat probably won't do anything.

I didnt tell it to delete my windows but to repair it

but it deletes most of the files and then copies them back from the cd, and this keeps all your settings etc

the hard drive is seen in the new machine and when i first put it in it booted up to the first time you see the windows XP logo with the moving bar. then reset and thats all it would do

i put the hdd back in my original machine and it worked fine again

You won't be able to repair you Windows Install as part of the repair scans the Drivers.

In basic terms it scans your drivers and what they control. So when it gets here it crashes due to being in a new system.

If its not to late, put your drive back in your old system and copying the data off.

Then when you've copied it on to CD's etc, format it as part of the XP setup in the new PC.

If you told the XP to repair, it only removed the system32/drivers bit and also the registry Edit files and reloads default settings using the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE within the CD Cab files. This will allow a fresh load of the basic OS to be installed.

XP-Deploy along with "CTRL/SHIFT UP/F3" depressed at the same time at the OEM Key is also handy in this situation aswell.