Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fitting 01 Sat Nav Into 99 Gs 300?

Just bought an 01 GS 300 sat nav unit to try to fit to my 99 GS 300. Details of the parts are listed below.

So having already spent some money, I guess my first question is can it actually be done?

I was hoping all the connections would be the same + an extra connector for the DVD unit, of course that was wishful thinking. I think I'm going to have to rewire some connectors, does anyone have pin outs, or even an explanation of what all the different connectors are for?

And what is the mystery black box in the new unit? It is the only one that appears to connect the same as my old unit, and I can plug that directly into the two connectors that previously went into the climate control controls. On the old climate unit the black box was part of it, in the new one the box isn't connected to any other part of the system, just bolts to the back of the display.

All info greatfully received,

Richard.

The new unit consists of:

screen section inc. climate con controls (86111-30220 or 462200-0411) - with 4 connectors (6, 10, 14 & 8 pins)

tape & radio unit (86120-3A602) - with 2 connectors (20 pin & 12 pin (only 2 wires in this ones plug))

mystery black box (88650-3A330 or 177300-5281) - with 2 connectors (16 & 22 pins)

My existing system has:

tape/radio/cd control/led display (86120-3A541) - with 3 connectors (7, 10 & 6 pins)

climate controls unit/led display (55900-3A231 or 146430-7500) - with 2 connectors (16 & 22 pins)

What does this mystery black box look like? Any labels on it?

The standard car does not have the Nav wiring loom so you need to run new wires. I'm not sure if the stereo amp is different. You will also need the main sat nav unit that is located in the boot of the vehicle and a DVD nav disc (main unit is £2000 and DVD £300)

You also need the GPS aerial.

What does this mystery black box look like? Any labels on it?

Here are two pictures, the box is not electrically connected to the screen unit (at least not directly), only bolted to the back. It has a toyota/denso sticker with two part number(?) 88650-3A330 & 177300-5281.

http://raburton.lunarpages.com/lexus/img_1215.jpg

http://raburton.lunarpages.com/lexus/img_1216.jpg

The two connectors on it match (size, pins and wire colours) to two connectors on my wiring loom. However on the current setup these two connectors attach to the black box that is the integral back part of the air con controls.

The old radio unit is much larger than the new one, maybe the the old one has a built in amp, and the new one doesn't?

I'm working on getting my hands on a DVD unit (86841-33060/462100-0437 - hope this is the right one) cheap to go with it, then I just need wires. That assumes of course that I can figure out how to wire the main unit into the car at all, which is really what I'm stuck on.

Richard.

hello from usa, i have installed many factory gs300 nav systems in non nav cars and can help answer some of your questions. the problem is the 99 gs300 had a different screen plugs and radio plugs than the 2001 which is the 2nd generation navigation system you are trying to install in a first generation unit. i have not attempted that switch yet but i am sure it is possible as the gs radio amp connectors stayed the same even though the radio connctors changed and that is where the power to the headunit comes from. .......................................................... i tried to splice in the 2nd generation dvd computer into first generation screen but it didnt work as the 2nd generation computer had a 3rd set of communication pinouts . lexus headunits and peripherals talk to each other through avc-lan and if the proper communication is not recieved the headunit wont recognize the periphreral . but if you find a 2nd generation lexus dvd computer it will conmmunicate with the head unit you have............................................................................... the mystery black box is no mystery at all but is just the electronic part of the ac control that was above the radio. there is a 1 wire connection from the screen harness to the ac control haness (the blue wire in the bottom row of the big ac connector on the 99gs)wirng harness . also there is a 1 wire connction to the steering wheel control if so equiped. there is also a 1 wire connction to the speed sensor which is the botom row green wire on big connector the speedometer. these are all easily acsessed with a phillips screw driver. ................................................

it is a very nice conversion and makes it possible to add a tv tuner and a dvd player as well as satelite radio here in the usa. a company in usa just satarted making the compatible box that plugs into the cd changer port and can be controlled by the haed unit for all types of peripherals such as ipod and xm . so many things are going to be possible for lexus navigation system owners. the only difference for uk version is your computer is made by aishin aw a uk company and the usa version has a denso made computer. also uk version faceplates reveresed for usa use. but all the wiring at the headunit looks the same . you have a big project to get all the wires spliced but it can be done. i am doing a 99 ls400 non nav to nav conversion right now. and have all the parts to do a harrier(rx300) and a lx-470 100 a 100 in uk i believe. everyone has entirely different screen and wiring harness but once yu have done 1 install you learn all the things needed to be attached.

• 3 weeks later...

hows the 01 nav system in 99 gs coming/ i just converted a 2000 gs from lexus premium sound system to factory nav system without a hitch. if you havce any questions on the 99 let me know. thewre are several ecus that have to hooked into the nav system. they are the tilt and teloscopic ecu wire 7 white. and the ps ecu also. they are both loscated undere the steering column. the disc drive computer is actually not that antiquated compared to the dvd. the dvd is a big improvement over the multiple disc cdrom nav systems of late 90s but the navigation computer that came in original 98 to 2000 aristos are almost as good.

hows the 01 nav system in 99 gs coming/ i just converted a 2000 gs from lexus premium sound system to factory nav system without a hitch. if you havce any questions on the 99 let me know. thewre are several ecus that have to hooked into the nav system. they are the tilt and teloscopic ecu wire 7 white. and the ps ecu also. they are both loscated undere the steering column. the disc drive computer is actually not that antiquated compared to the dvd. the dvd is a big improvement over the multiple disc cdrom nav systems of late 90s but the navigation computer that came in original 98 to 2000 aristos are almost as good.

• 1 month later...

i finally got the 2001 dvd nav computer from a gs300 to work on the nav screen ofrom 99gs300. the picture doesnt fill the sreen properly as the 2001 screen is 16:9 and the 99 screen 4:3. have you had any luck getting the 2001 screen and computer to work in a 99 or 2000 . my 01 gs300 screen has connctions to parking brake, to the gateway ecuy in addition to the data link and the speed sensor. sincer the 99 has no gateway ecu i dont think it will hook up. any luck on your side of the atlantic.

• 7 months later...
Hello piocdx

I'm new to this forum.

I just got 05 GS300 and looking for options to add to my sound system.

piocdx, if I could talk to you direcly it would be perfect.

Please, email me at sashka3@pacbell.net

thanks

i finally did a total conversion of the 2001 gs400 dvd navigation system in a 99 gs400. it took me over 30 hours of work to do it due to all the wiring problems but finally had a tootal sucess. the ac contol function was the biggest stumbling block but finally solved the problem by installing the 2001 gs400 ac control computer in the 99 gsd400 . also hooked up the lexus lx470 6 disc dvd changer to the system though the 6 pin tcv port on the back of the screen and can view movies on the front nav screen. also found the overide for the screen functioining while driving so the passenger can watch the movie while gs400 is moving.

• 7 months later...

Hi Piocdx

I am trying to upgrade from the standard radio, cassett, air con unit to a nav screen unit. Mine is a1999 GS300 the, unit is from another 1999 GS300. If i connect the plugs from the old unit into the new i get nothing except the control backlights.

I am sure there must be some other form of connection, wire, configuration i need to make, can you help?

I dont nessicarily need the Navigation to work just everything else.

Many Thanks Steve

Hi Piocdx

I am trying to upgrade from the standard radio, cassett, air con unit to a nav screen unit. Mine is a1999 GS300 the, unit is from another 1999 GS300. If i connect the plugs from the old unit into the new i get nothing except the control backlights.

I am sure there must be some other form of connection, wire, configuration i need to make, can you help?

Many Thanks Steve

you need to connect the ac control wire to wire 5 of your ac control main harness. then connect the data wire to the tilt and teloccopic ecu wire 7 the white one . next to the steering column under the dash. the speed sensor can also be connected to the tilt and telocopic. you need connectors for the nav unit and a y connction for the pioneer digital amp to get the navigation voice commands frrom your drivers door speaker. also 16 foot sheilded wires to go to the 1999 disc drive computer which is located in the trunk. it took me 2 days working 12 hours a day to do the install with a perfect functioning system i have also installed the latesat nav system dvd disc computer system from a 2005 into a 99 gs300. that took me 4 days of 12 hours a dayto do the install. its kind of like mountaijn climbing for me. they said it couldnt be done so i diid both the 99 gs nav into 99 gs300 and the 2005 gs nav nav in the 99 gs300. the gs is the only lexus which had the same dash fitting from 99 to 2005 making the newer nav conversion possile. the ls430 changed dash size so no retrofit to the 99 2000 ls400 possiblre.

• 1 year later...
Hi Piocdx

Many Thanks Steve

you need to connect the ac control wire to wire 5 of your ac control main harness. then connect the data wire to the tilt and teloccopic ecu wire 7 the white one . next to the steering column under the dash. the speed sensor can also be connected to the tilt and telocopic. you need connectors for the nav unit and a y connction for the pioneer digital amp to get the navigation voice commands frrom your drivers door speaker. also 16 foot sheilded wires to go to the 1999 disc drive computer which is located in the trunk. it took me 2 days working 12 hours a day to do the install with a perfect functioning system i have also installed the latesat nav system dvd disc computer system from a 2005 into a 99 gs300. that took me 4 days of 12 hours a dayto do the install. its kind of like mountaijn climbing for me. they said it couldnt be done so i diid both the 99 gs nav into 99 gs300 and the 2005 gs nav nav in the 99 gs300. the gs is the only lexus which had the same dash fitting from 99 to 2005 making the newer nav conversion possile. the ls430 changed dash size so no retrofit to the 99 2000 ls400 possiblre.

Hi All,

I have now had my 1999 Lexus gs300 for 7 months and loving it, I have got hold of a touch screen radio from another 1999 gs300 but without the satnav from the boot, i was told the system would be a straight swop by a local radio shop, but we all now know the answer to that,

I was wondering if any one has done what Piodx has said above themselves, and does the radio /cd work ok without the satnav? I have sent piocdx a PM ages ago but he's not answered.

• 2 months later...

Just been thinking about this again, as I've become a student again for a while so had to part with the Lexus.

Never did quite manage to do the conversion, so I've had to put the stuff on eBay (3rd gen dvd unit, gs touch screen head unit). I wont link to them as I don't know the forum policy, but they'll be easy enough to find if they are of any use to anyone (and atm they are dirt cheap).

Richard.

• 2 weeks later...

At least the cassette deck talks happily to the amp. Nothing on the screen 'cos nothing's plugged into the screen, but the radio/CD controls on the tape unit all work and you can hear the music. Unit's back out for now, need to do some homework!

• 8 months later...

An update: I've finally got round to having a go at installing the nav system in my non-nav GS.

So far:-

Fitted GPS antenna (hidden under the high-level brake light pod)

Run new cabling from boot to dash, fitted plugs (8 wires go straight from nav unit to display, but there are other signals and power feeds as well)

Tapped into GTX connections which used to go gateway ECU -> radio, but on nav systems go gateway ECU -> EMV display -> radio

Tapped into speed and gauge power (both from the instrument cluster)

Tapped into backlighting (not mentioned in the main radio/nav/AC diagrams, it's on the "illumination" diagram with wrong pin numbers)

Tapped into ground (from radio, plus in the boot)

Tapped into another illumination feed (comes from body ECU but can be picked up at the clock)

Run power cables (accessory and permanent) where I can hook them up for testing

Plugged in nav unit (in boot) and display/radio combo (in dash)

What works:-

CD

Radio

Navigation

Tape probably works as well

What doesn't work:-

Heater/aircon controls (displays "Check the connection of Air Conditioner" when I try)

Still to connect (if I can get the aircon bit working):-

"TC" connection (goes to OBD-II port where it shares a pin with the engine/ECT ECU)

Parking brake switch connection (from display)

"REV" connection (goes to engine/ECT ECU so that boot-mounted unit knows when car's in reverse)

"SMUT" connection (mute signal from boot-mounted unit to amplifier)

Speaker wires from boot-mounted unit to/from front-right speaker wire

For now I'll have to put the old one back in. Display looks great, but no good if I've got no heating in the car!

Update: found out why the aircon doesn't work.

The "gateway ECU" (which interfaces between the BEAN and AVC-LAN systems) can be found on cars with nav and cars with the extra buttons on the steering wheel (such as the GS430). If you have neither, then you'll just find a grey plug with nothing on the end of it, just above the OBD-II port. That's what I've got!

If I can source a gateway ECU (part no. 89111-30010, found only on facelift-model GS300/Aristo, no other cars) I'm home and dry.