Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Probs Filling Up...

Hi all,

Got my IS200 SE a few weeks back and aside from the mpg (had a Rover Diesel before and do 120 miles a day!!) I absolutely love the car, nicest car I've ever had.

Got a weird problem though when filling up with fuel (all to often!), if I pull the handle to the pump right up ie fill it up as quick as poss, the pump cuts out as if the tank is full, I have to sort of juggle and find a balance but the petrol then takes an age to go in as its not going in at full pelt. I use different garages so its not the pump, anyone else have this niggle with their Lexus ?

Cheers

Jon

both our IS's have suffered from this - no matter which way up or whatever angle you try, it takes forever to fill up...i just stand there trying to look intelligent & like i know what i'm doing but i can just hear all the other MEN drivers sighing/laughing at that "stupid bl**dy woman!!" :P

Making your tank fill up slowly is a neat trick by the car manufacturers.. :D who wants to go from 0 to £50 in 6 seconds :whistling::whistling::whistling:

If it takes 2 minutes or more to fill up then the motorist will be satisfied :whistling::whistling:

oooer missus

Don't you end up with petrol all over your trousers?

Thought I smelt odd :P

Nope - no problem at all.

Nozzle in upside down and I hold the green pipe with the other hand to form a sort of mini arch which stops the pipe from trying to kink and the tank fills up normally.

The only drawback is that the fuel cap gets in the way if you put it in it's bracket on the cover plate. I therefore let it dangle :ohmy:

Look guys you shouldn't have that problem - and why should you have to turn the nossle upside down - should ask Lexus me thinks!

I've had no problems - I use Shell all the time.

Although I must say me misses has had the problem with her Clio when filling up at Asda & Tesco but not Shell !

Have exactly the same problem. Took ages to get 40 litres into the tank this afternoon...pump must have cut out a dozen times or more.

Sounds like this is a common problem; surprised Lexus haven't modified the system to stop it happening. Never had this problem with other cars I've owned and it always seems to be worse when I'm in a hurry!! :angry:

Try puting nozzle in the hole and then about 10 - 15 inches from where the hoze meets the nozzle lift the hoze so that its in line with the nozzle (rather that dropping down) works for me perfect :) ...if that makes sence :blink: :duh:

Filled up this morning and for the first time was able to fill up the whole tank without it cutting out every couple of secs :D

Trick seemed to be putting the nozzle in and then pulling it about an inch (fnah fnah), didnt need to lift the hose or jiggle with anything else.

I think thats enough for this thread and its innuendoes :winky:

Thanks all for replying.

Jon

The garages around here have a notch in the nozzle which I let rest on the metal entry and there's no dicking about - it just works without stopping with everything the right way around......

I tried the suggestion of pulling out a bit at a time and on mine - no joy - kept clicking off, even when the gun was almost out of the hole.

Ended up turning the gun upside down and continued to fill up with no more ado.

It must be different pressures at different pumps ?

Exact same problem with my IS (and was the same on the previous one). I just take it easy, gives you time to check out everything else that's going on in the forecourt :yawn:

The Soarer is a different animal altogether. It'll gulp down 70 litres just as fast as you can feed it!! :hehe: